Post the upgrade of a VMware infrastructure from ESX 3.5 to vSphere 4, I encountered an issue when upgrading the Virtual Machines. I had already installed the latest VMware tools and after upgrading the hardware from version 4 to version 7 I wanted to remove the standard NIC attached to each Virtual Machine and attach the new vmxnet3 NIC.
I had a problem the other day when I went to logon to a server using RDP and the text fields where you enter your username and password were black! I typed in my credentials anyway and found that I could still logon to the server. After this there seemed to be no other issues.
I have just tried to open a file with a .chm extension on a computer running Windows Vista. The file is located on my desktop yet when I tried to open it only the table of contents would display and not the actual pages containing any content. Instead I was presented with a screen that said: 'Navigation to the webpage was cancelled'.
I am frequently asked to allow access to our servers for 3rd party company usually trying to fix some sort of software issue in their application (the typical scenario.) Most companies tend to use applications such as GoToMeeting or Live Meeting which Iâ€™ve never really been in favour of. Recently I was told that in order for a new implementation to commence I would have to give a company VPN access to our network and Remote Desktop Connections onto the relevant servers.
I have been using VMware ESX for quite a while now and while the technology is a brilliant concept every now and then I find a small problem or pitfall that always seems to bug me! I have a 3 node ESX cluster that I implemented in my work office and was working on configuring a 5 node cluster when I noticed an issue with VCenter (formally Virtual Center) that had occurred in both environments. It seemed that for no apparent reason when I rebooted the server running VCenter the 'VMware VirtualCenter Server' (or 'vpxd' windows service name) service failed to start. This was kind of annoying, more so knowing that the new 5 node setup was going to a datacenter where people would be less likely to spot that it hadn't started after the reboot of the server running VCenter!
As part of my Service Level Agreement at work I have to produce a monthly uptime report for each server. Rather than generate individual reports for each server I decided to write a KiXtart script that would generate a report for all servers and email it to me each month.
At work there is an old web application that is managed offsite by a hosting company. It runs on Oracle 9iAS. Apparently there is an issue with Oracle 9i and the web service will frequently crash (due to a known caching problem) taking the application offline.
I recently bought a batch of Dell Latitude E4300 laptops as replacements for outdated machines at work. I retained one for myself and after a few days decided to wipe Windows XP and install Windows Vista Business. Everything was fine until I wanted to burn a copy of Knoppix from an .ISO image.
I recently had a problem when I rebooted an Exchange 2003 server after some updates and it refused to display the winlogon screen. Instead it sat at "applying computer settings". I left it for around 10 minutes before realising something was seriously wrong.
Every now and then I find myself needing to create a file of a certain size for one reason or another. This is usually for testing in situations where people are experiencing email attachment issues or disk quota problems, things like that. The quickest way to do this is to use a Windows command line utility called fsutil.exe. This command line tool can be used (amongst other things) for quota management, system info enumeration and some basic file manipulation.