Home > Hardware, Windows Vista, Windows XP > Dell Latitude E4300 CD DVD burning problem

Dell Latitude E4300 CD DVD burning problem

January 5th, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

I recently bought a batch of Dell Latitude E4300 laptops as replacements for outdated machines at work. I retained one for myself and after a few days decided to wipe Windows XP and install Windows Vista Business. Everything was fine until I wanted to burn a copy of Knoppix from an .ISO image.

Booting from the disc revealed it was unrecognised so I burned another - same issue. Burning the same .ISO from a different computer worked so I was sure there wasn’t an issue with the image. I began to suspect a faulty DVDRW drive but even after swapping it any CDs burned remained unrecognisable, even to the drive they were burned in. I tried one of the laptops that came preinstalled with the Dell Windows XP configuration and sure enough it was bootable. I then assumed there was an issue with a driver or some software on the laptop that was preventing the laptop from burning the CD successfully. A peek in device manager revealed no issues with the DVDRW device (mine was a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-U633A). I checked both Dell and Intel’s websites for newer drivers but I already had the latest.

The only application I didn’t have installed was the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, a program used to monitor disks/drives and report their status and/or RAID condition. It seemed pretty far fetched but as the DVDRW drives were SATA300 I decided to install the application. After installing it and burning yet another Knoppix CD I was astounded to see that when I put it into another computer I could successfully boot from it! After testing this on another of the laptops I was sure that it was the lack of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager that was causing the CD burn to fail each time. One thing I only noticed afterwards, when initially using MagicISO to burn the .ISO image (pre the installation of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager) the application never reported it was attempting to 'Close the Session'. Since installing the Intel Matrix Storage Manager I have not had any further issues burning audio or data to CD or DVD.

The latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager is available direct from Intel - Here

A quick dig around on Google afterwards revealed similar issues for Dell owners of Latitude E6400 and E6500 series laptops. It now seems this issue is commonly found on most laptops with the same SATA DVDRW drive as above.

1. Tara
    February 9th, 2009 at 03:47 | #1

Thanks a lot, this one was really frustrating me!!

2. Anja-Rose Strohameir
    April 3rd, 2009 at 08:47 | #2

The Dell technichian with a new motherboard and new RAM was already standing beside me ready to exchange the components in my Latitude E6400 which refused to burn CD's.
    Thanks to your blog I could solve the problem myself.
    Why does the Dell telephone support doesn't now stuff like this?
    Thank you very much!!!

3. Scott Thompson
    April 7th, 2009 at 13:50 | #3

I was very pleased to read your blog because I have similar problems with the same machine (purchased not long after yours) running Windows XP Professional loaded from an image installed by our IT dept. rather than the Dell install. Installing the Intel MSM did not solve the CD burning problems for me. I'm hoping you might provide just a bit more information.

I did not install the very latest version of MSM at the link you provided, since it did not identify my SATA controller in the Readme. Instead I installed a somewhat older version.

So, can you tell me, which version of Intel MSM did you install, and what device shows up for you under "SCSI and RAID controllers in Device Manager?" For me it's "Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller." Also, what shows up for driver version for you in the Properties of your controller? If you could provide similar info for one of your machines running XP I would be appreciative.

My email is s c o t t DOT t h o m p s o n AT b a t e s w h i t e DOT c o m.

4. Jan
    November 30th, 2009 at 13:35 | #4

Works!! DELL sent me 2 new drives but that didnt solve the problems. Installing the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software solved the problems!! Joeheee!

5. ash
    December 23rd, 2009 at 11:56 | #5

thank you for the article. I have a Dell Lattitude E4300. The driver could read CDs and DVDs but could not write. I downloaded the Matrix Storage Manager and it worked miracles. Cheers!

6. Sarah
    January 1st, 2010 at 14:17 | #6

Thank you... I've been struggling with this problem for ages and finally it's solved by the Matrix Storage Manager. This is clearly something which Dell are resistant to acknowledging - the Dell tech guy visited and failed to fix it, sent a replacement drive which failed to fix it... and now I bring my laptop home and fix it thanks to you.

Wonderful 🙂

7. Mario
    January 18th, 2010 at 22:26 | #7

8. Kimmie
    April 12th, 2010 at 14:04 | #8

Mr. Clements,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Thank you for your advice! I could kiss you for this! I had been working on this problem for 5 days and I was about to pull my hair out! Dell was not help at all and this tip saved my health and job, lol! Thank you again!

9. Roadstar Rick
    February 10th, 2011 at 21:30 | #9

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH! This was crazy frustrating for me as well. I was on the end of day 2 and exhausting all options.....I thought!

10. Tan Han Pin
    November 14th, 2011 at 03:13 | #10

I was facing the same problem with the Laptop model of E6400. At first I try to burn the CD, and it refuse to burn and ejected. I spoilt around 20 CDS and few DVD. However, due to Dell Support want to confirm the problem, it change the Motherboard, and DVD ROM. End up, my colleague give me the solution from this website. It solved!!!!

Dell keep on asking me format and format, the facts is.. no matter how you install the windows it facing the same problem. I am quit disappointed on this problem solving by DELL Support.

My advise is.. next time search for some forum before you call the DELL Support.

HPTAN