Home > Software, Windows XP > Install Dell OEM PowerDVD on non OEM system

Install Dell OEM PowerDVD on non OEM system

October 6th, 2008 Leave a comment Go to comments

I just had an issue where I was trying to install PowerDVD 5.1 onto a Dell laptop with a fresh Windows XP install. The PowerDVD software was on Dell branded media and I had reinstalled the laptop using a non OEM Dell branded version of Windows XP Professional. It seems that there is a check during the installation process of PowerDVD to verify that the software is indeed being reinstalled back onto a Dell branded computer. As I hadn’t used the original reinstallation CD that came with the laptop I had half guessed that PowerDVD was going to complain.

Here is a screen shot of the error I was presented with:

powerdvderror.png

Being familiar with various forms of installers I started to probe into the contents of the files on the CD. I copied all files from the CD into a folder on the desktop. A quick inspection of all editable files revealed a file called Custom.ini with what looked to be a condition for the setup.exe Installshield installer.

Its contents included the following 3 lines of text:

[PowerDVD]
CLScan=DELL,Unbranded
RunDVDLauncherMCE=1

Immediately my attention was drawn to the 'CLScan=DELL,Unbranded' line. This seemed to be the condition of the installer. I tried changing the condition of the 'CLCScan' parameter into various forms such as:

CLScan=ALL
CLScan=ANY
CLScan=(blank)

None of the above seemed to work. Every time I changed the text the error message above would change to reflect the new condition but still not let me install the application. After changing the condition a few times I finally managed to get the application to install. I set the contidion to be:
CLScan=*

The asterisk saved in the Custom.ini file allowed the install to complete without any errors. I have also tried other symbols including an apostrophe and the ‘@’ symbol. You can run the command MSINFO32 to show you the manufacturer of your system which may work if one of the above symbols doesn't. Any of these methods could allow PowerDVD to successfully install. A quick test afterwards revealed that the machine had PowerDVD installed and it was indeed fully functional.

Categories: Software, Windows XP Tags:
  1. Joe Blow
    October 22nd, 2008 at 19:16 | #1

Thanks for this tip....helped me get around this today. I also changed the line vendor=dell to vendor =*, not sure if it made a difference or not. Was also able to download the updated version, extract the .exe using Winzip and did the same trick on the Custom.ini file it contained.

2. Nathan
    December 14th, 2008 at 01:23 | #2

I just installed a Dell OEM version on my custom built PC, and I tried what you did, but the install failed many times. Then I ran the Windows System Information utility, and I used the information in the "System Manufacturer" field in place of "DELL" in the custom.ini file. And it worked! In my case, the system manufacturer is Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., but I am willing to bet that it will work with whatever is in the field for any computer.

3. Jay
    December 18th, 2008 at 21:26 | #3

Theres no CLScan line in my Custom.ini file i check but that is the error im getting

4. Dario
    January 5th, 2009 at 15:56 | #4

Hey Nathan. What Windows System Information Utility are you referring to? I followed your instructions but in my case it didn't work.

Thanks!
    DC

5. James Clements
    January 5th, 2009 at 22:47 | #5

Hey Dario, I assume Nathan means the 'Microsoft System Information' tool. You can run this by navigating to:

Start -> Run..

In the 'open' textbox type:

msinfo32

now click 'ok'

There is a System Manufacturer' field there (the window make take a few seconds to populate).

I guess (if Nathan is correct - I have not tested this yet) Cyberlink have modified the installer in later versions of PowerDVD and it could now be performing extra validation checks during installation.

6. Dario
    January 6th, 2009 at 17:33 | #6

Thanks James for the quick reply.

I've been trying to install a Dell OEM Power DVD (version 5.5) that came on a Dell System into a custom built PC (Intel DG33TL motherboard running Vista Business x64) with no success.

The system manufacturer from msinfo32 is: INTEL_

After setting:

CLScan=INTEL_

or

CLScan=INTEL_,Unbranded

or any other combination with no underscore, etc.

the setup keeps returning the aforementioned error message.
    I ended up installing AVS DVD Player, which is free.

Dario

7. Jarrod
    January 14th, 2009 at 06:17 | #7

Hey I just wanted to say that this is great--worked like a charm. I'd made it to the file and line, but wasn't getting anywhere with my guesses. Should've known, good ol' asterisk! Also wanted to mention that I ran into this problem after reformat/reinstall using a Dell OEM copy of XP that wasn't what originally came with the machine and PowerDVD install disc, so it's not just checking to see that you used a Dell install disc, but the correct Dell install disc--probably has to do with different releases of the XP disc by Dell.

8. forest
    February 11th, 2009 at 00:16 | #8

Hi, we had tried the method by James and it able to install successfully on our DIY desktop. However, there is decoder error shown at the media player when we tried to play some movies. Would appreciate your advice. Thank you in advance.

9. Sudipto
    March 1st, 2009 at 23:26 | #9

Hi everybody!

I right now installed a copy of the PowerDVD Application from the dvd shipped with my Dell System on my HP Notebook.

Steps to perform:

Start > Run > Type msinfo32 > Make a note of the System Manufacturer

Copy the installation files from the CD onto a folder on the Workstation

Edit the Custom.ini file using notepad

Replace all the DELL's with the System Manufacturer name( Hewlett-Packard in my case).

Go ahead with the setup.

Thanks to James Clements!

10. Tony
    March 12th, 2009 at 02:21 | #10

OMG...Thank You soo much I went to a forum earlier that had me try a billion different things and this is the only 1 that works...you're a god

11. James
    March 19th, 2009 at 05:12 | #11

Sudipto, you nailed it on the head. Your steps worked for me when nothing else did. THANKS!

12. Jason
    March 29th, 2009 at 15:14 | #12

Wonderful! I needed to do exactly as you described. I did a google search and your blog was at the top of the list. I did as you suggested, and "presto" I had PowerDVD installed and running. Thank you very much.

13. Luis
    April 13th, 2009 at 23:48 | #13

Nice tip! Thanks James. Worked with " * ".

14. Kamal
    May 4th, 2009 at 16:35 | #14

Thanks a bunch! It work on a system I built myself using "*"

15. joe blow
    June 4th, 2009 at 09:58 | #15

The exact text in my Custom.ini file was a bit different. For example, the text "CLScan" was nowhere in the file.

So I just searched for the word "Dell". I found it. Then I replaced the word Dell with an * (asterisk), just like the OP instructed.
    It worked like a charm for my custom built PC!

James Clements, you're a badass for figuring this out! Thanks!
    I was even kinda proud of myself just to have googled up your answer, lol.

16. Ariel
    June 26th, 2009 at 10:17 | #16

In my case, I just replace the Dell with *. This works in my Virtual PC.

[PowerDVD]
    CLScan=*,Unbranded
    RunDVDLauncherMCE=1

I tried to change it with System Manufacturer as mentioned by sudipto but it didn't work, this one works for me.

But this forum help me a lot.

17. Justin
    August 25th, 2009 at 01:37 | #17

msinfo32 did the ticket. Thanks!

Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.0 Dell OEM on a Gigabit Motherboard

18. MarcusA
    September 24th, 2009 at 22:12 | #18

You people rock. My version had the following line in the custom.ini file.

vendor=dell

I changed it to

vendor=*

Now I have DVD playing ability again. And I don't feel bad at all, since Dell had the worst customer support and rebate process. I'm glad I built my own system.

19. ed
    February 2nd, 2010 at 18:10 | #19

I have cyberlink power dvd 7.0 software and Ilooked at your web site but I can't find on here the vendor name to change it to put the program on my ibm laptop. Can you tell me how to find that on this program. It is a dell disk with the cyberlink program. Thanks ED

20. mark
    February 13th, 2010 at 03:23 | #20

i bow 2 u james!!!

21. jibu
    July 2nd, 2010 at 09:34 | #21

Thanks a Lot James, Worked with " * " .

22. Duane
    September 2nd, 2010 at 16:10 | #22

You guys are awesome!! This, CLScan=*,unbranded BiosVender=LENOVO Vender=*, let me install version 8.2 but it would not run. I had to copy some files under C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\Customizations. I had 2 folders, Dell and LENOVO. The Dell folder had several folders in it. The Lenovo folder only had 5 file in it. I copied all of files and folders from the Dell folder to the Lenovo folder. Works fine now. Thanks for your help.

23. Dane
    September 24th, 2010 at 16:10 | #23

This was a big help. I had to take a little bit from each entry but I got it to work. Here is what I did.
    CLScan=*
    Vendor=Hewlett-Packard
    BiosVendor="Hewlett-Packard"
    This was for the Custom.ini file on the root of the CD. Also had to modify the Custom.ini file in the PowerDVDDX** folders as well. These are for XP and Windows 7 installer. After doing that was able to get it installed but would not run. I went to Program Files/Cyberlink/PowerDVD DX/Customizations. In here there was Dell and Hewlett Packard Folder. I copied the contents of the Dell Folder into the Hewlett Packard Folder and was then able to run the program and play a DVD

24. Mig
    September 28th, 2010 at 15:36 | #24

Dane. Your suggestion worked. I just tried it on an old Gateway laptop. The other things didn't work until I copied the contents from the Dell folder to the Gateway folder, then PowerDVD worked fine. Before i did that, it wouldn't do anything when i loaded a DVD or double clicked on the shortcut.

Thanks a whole bunch! (or a hole bunch)!

25. Deepak
    December 28th, 2010 at 12:27 | #25

Ya Dane, thanks a million, the trick worked very well. The only thing required on non-branded computer is this extra step:

Copy the contents of the Dell folder to the INTEL_ folder, then the PowerDVD will work as required.

(Note: to automatically populate the INTEL_ folder just type this : BiosVender="INTEL_" in the custom.ini file and elsewhere.) Also note that this folder {INTEL_} must be generated automatically don't manually create this folder inside the Customizations folder)

26. koor
    March 14th, 2011 at 13:47 | #26

thx a lot

27. Bryn Ryver
    April 29th, 2011 at 20:55 | #27

YOU FUC**** Rock!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Nobby Clark
    August 31st, 2011 at 14:31 | #28

Used an "*" on the Dell OEM version of 5.1 and it's worked a treat on my new self-build.

Genius.

29. INTRUDER!
    September 4th, 2011 at 16:20 | #29

I changed it to *, NVIDIA and it SEEMS like it installs but it runs through the motions and finishes without error but it finishes fast and nothing is installed. Anyone else experience that and know how to get around it?

30. Jon-O-Rama
    October 17th, 2011 at 23:41 | #30

Changing that one lie to "CLScan=*" allowed me to install on an HP Pavilion. Thanks!

31. Damon B.
    January 4th, 2012 at 03:24 | #31

Awesome! Worked with * on ECS Mobo (barebones)

32. marcel
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:28 | #32

Change vendor and CLScan to name your motherboard and its work, i change to Asus(thats my motherboard) installer works fine, sorry for my bad english

33. ap
    April 30th, 2012 at 07:04 | #33

thanks for posting this. * worked for me with v9.5. very helpful.

34. ap
    May 1st, 2012 at 03:52 | #34

also wanted to follow up that the same trick worked on the patches, but it required grabbing the downloaded patch from c:\users\name\local\ or wherever. I didn't write it down. But copying that to a well-known location and extracting the exe out so that I could see the config file again, then running setup from there with the change in place. I had to do this for two patches before it would finally play a Blu-Ray, but it worked with the same change for each patch.

35. jimmy
    June 7th, 2012 at 19:42 | #35

I'm so glad I found this website.

I bought a windows 2008 R2 server installation for under $20 bucks online.
    New, sealed pkg. But it was for a lenovo and I have a different brand of pc.

I keep getting the error about "can only be installed on a lenovo".

Can't wait to try your (and your reader's) suggestions.

I figured I would copy over all the files from the install DVD, then edit the files and re-create the whole install DVD using an ISO utility (in my case, UltraISO).
    Burn to a blank DVD and boot from the new DVD.

36. Mahesh
    July 19th, 2012 at 23:02 | #36

Awesome!

37. XcluziveAZN
    August 29th, 2012 at 19:14 | #37

If you are using VMware and Have Dell Host machine. Just add this to the configuration parameter

SMBIOS.reflectHost = TRUE

this will allow you to install all the dell OEM software on VMware that hosted on the dell

38. October 26th, 2012 at 18:26 | #38

I recently needed to do the same thing, but I noticed that this tutorial was out of date...the following works for PowerDVD 9.5:

1. Copy the DVD contents into a folder on your machine or flash drive (I used My Documents)
    2. Open CLScan.ini (from your newly created folder) and change DriveDetect from True to False (This way setup.exe won't go try and find the disc that's in the drive)
    3. Open Custom.ini (from your newly created folder) and find Dell, replace Dell with your manufacturer (In my case it was Lenovo)

That's it! You should now be able to run setup.exe from that folder without any problems 🙂

*Notice the case...the first letter is capitalized and the rest of the letters are lowercase, regardless of your manufacturer, this is the proper format.

*To find your manufacturer...go to Start > Run and type msinfo32, then click ok. Under System Summary, you will see the System Manufacturer.

The OS I used was Windows XP Professional...hope this helps someone 🙂

Thanks,
    Josh

39. November 8th, 2012 at 19:46 | #39

@Josh I just applied this to a Windows Vista machine using Compaq-Presario as the vendor and everything worked just fine 🙂

40. lion10
    January 5th, 2014 at 13:27 | #40

I can confirm that this CLScan=* trick still works on HP branded PowerDVD 10. To make setup working, you have also to change DriveDetect parameter of CLScan.ini to "False". I also set the DetectRom parameter in custom.ini to "0". Does any knows if it is possible to enable Blu-Ray Support? These BD files seems to be all present in the installer file, - but they won't be installed. Also with BD=1 parameter modification in custom.ini. 🙁

41. lion10
    January 5th, 2014 at 19:04 | #41

lion10 :
    I can confirm that this CLScan=* trick still works on HP branded PowerDVD10. ...

Important supplement, - this CLScan=* trick only works with HP branded PowerDVD10 when parameter "HPVerCheck" in Custom.ini is set to "10" NOT to “11”. Otherwise setup will fail with an error that it can be only installed on “activated systems”. Interestingly all Blu Ray related features will NOT install with “HPVerCheck=10” parameter. PowerDVD10 will only be able to play standard DVD and movie files.
    Last note, HP branded PowerDVD12 seems to have no longer any CLScan option; - in consequence this workaround will be no longer possible on newer PowerDVD versions.

42. lion10
    January 7th, 2014 at 16:06 | #42

lion10 :
    ... only works with HP branded PowerDVD10 when parameter "HPVerCheck" in Custom.ini is set to "10" NOT to “11”. ...

Last supplement, "HPVerCheck" must be set to "9" on HP OEM PowerDVD10 (not to "10"). Otherwise PowerDVD10 will not play DVD's. Last HP OEM PowerDVD10 build which supports Blu-Ray with "CLScan=*" trick seems to be version 10.0.5.3817 (sp56904.exe). Here "HPVerCheck" must be set to "4" to install PowerDVD10 with Blu-Ray support. Any newer build will fail during installation with this parameter, - it seems that on those builds also the "Royalty.ini" file needs to be modified...

43. TreX57
    January 29th, 2014 at 00:06 | #43

I tried this and installed dell powerdvd 8.3 DX on a Toshiba laptop. It worked and can run, but it says it required a update to play the BD movies, so I downloaded a patch and run the setup. Again, it says the "Dell, and AlienWare". I had no idea how to change that labels? Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

44. bubba
    September 29th, 2014 at 06:07 | #44

@lion10
    i unpacked sp56904.exe and only had to change to CLScan=*
    HPVerCheck was already set =4. it installed no issues but was freezing when trying update keys for my disc. there is a little blue up arrow at the top and clicking that will take you to the cyberlink site. the page offers an updated full installer that also can be unpacked and modified the same way: HP-CNB.HP_RiTA10_v4504_DVD120706-03_Normal.exe
    This one updated keys without issue. However, according to Cyberlink, version 10 is dead and won't receive any more patches/updates.

code