Home > Hardware > Sky Router DG834GT Unlock

Sky Router DG834GT Unlock

September 30th, 2007 Leave a comment Go to comments

I recently purchased a Netgear DG834GT ADSL Router from eBay, knowing that it was restricted with Sky Broadband’s custom firmware.

The reason for me doing this is that the router my ISP provides is absolutely dreadful, when I got it out of the box the firewall was disabled and there was no password to login to the admin web interface. The navigation through the interface when configuring the device is terrible. So you can see why I wanted to change it for something different.

Of the many different vendors’ I have tried in my time, I’m quite a big fan of Netgear products. I’d heard from a friend that the Netgear DG834GT that Sky supplies have custom firmware on them, and that they are locked down to prevent use with another ISP. Still, firmware can be changed cant it?! So I nabbed myself a bargain and purchased a Sky branded DG834GT from eBay for £30. After a quick Google it turns out that Netgear provide a utility for rewriting the firmware to the eeprom in the event of a user bricking their device when upgrading it through the web interface. I was also going to need the original Netgear firmware to flash over the top of the Sky firmware that the router was programmed with already.

Before I go any further in explaining how I flashed my Netgear DG834GT, with Netgear’s own standard firmware, you should take note that the following procedure may ‘brick’ or render your router useless (as happened to a friend of mine!). You flash it at your own risk!

Firstly disable any firewall software you may have installed on the computer you are using such as ZoneAlarm or Norton Personal Firewall.

Grab the following files from here:

Firmware version 1.02.13 (latest version at time of writing)
Firmware version 1.02.04
Recovery Utility

Now copy all 3 files onto a Windows XP computer, this is very important because the Netgear recovery utility does not work properly in Windows Vista. It results in a bluescreen when you try to flash the firmware and renders the router useless. If you are using Vista do not try to flash it.

Unzip the recovery utility to a new folder and copy the firmware file that you downloaded for version 1.02.04 (filename dg834gt_1_02_04.img) into the same folder as the files for the recovery utility. (The recovery utility automatically detects the firmware in the same location as the utility and uses this for the flash). So basically we are going to flash the router with version 1.02.04 of the firmware first. I have not tried flashing it with the newer firmware at this stage, all documentation I have read on flashing the router at this point uses version 1.02.04 to flash the device. (I will explain how to upgrade to the latest firmware later on). So you should now have a folder layout like this:

Plug the Ethernet cable from your Windows XP computer into one of the LAN ports on the router. Now plug the transformer for the Netgear router into the wall and turn it on, do not plug the power into your router at this stage. Now grab a pen or paperclip, hold your router with one hand and use the pen or paperclip to hold the reset button in on the back of the router and at the same time plug the power cord into the back of the device. Continue holding the reset button down for 3-4 seconds and then remove the pen or paperclip. Now look at the front of your router, you should see the two lights (the power and the test light) on the left hand side of the router flashing alternately. If they are not flashing alternately repeat the procedure until they are.

Now that the lights are flashing alternately on the front of the router, run the file RmDrv.exe in the Netgear recovery utility folder. Once you have run this utility run UpgradeWizard.exe to start the flashing process. Firstly click next to confirm you wish to upgrade the firmware for your router:

Secondly select the network card that you have in your Windows XP computer that has the Ethernet cable plugged into it. You may see more than one device here including wireless network cards and firewire cards. Click next when you have chosen the correct network card:

Now you will see a list of devices connected to the Windows XP computer through the network card that you chose on the previous screen. Since the router has not fully initialised (because the reset button was held in when the router was turned on) it will not have given your network card an IP address. So in this list you should see only a single MAC address of the Netgear router we want to flash. Click next to continue:

Now you are prompted to upgrade the firmware on the router. You will see a progress bar on the bottom of the screen, when it reaches 100% you know the flash has completed. Upgrade the firmware as advised. When I flashed my router it took about 5 minutes to complete the flashing process. When it was complete I turned the power to my router off, waited 10 seconds and turned it back on again.

When you turn the router back on access the admin web interface by typing the following URL into the browser of your Windows XP computer:

You will be prompted for a username and password. Sky’s default settings are as follows:

Username: admin
Password: sky

Try these to log into the router, if successful you will be presented with the Netgear admin web interface. If the above username and password do not work, turn the router over, and whilst it is still powered on, use the pen or paperclip to push and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 10 seconds. Now wait for the router to initialise (the lights on the front of the router will settle) and try login to the router using the same URL above and the default Netgear username and password:

Username: admin
Password: password

Now that you are logged into the router upgrade the firmware to the latest version (filename dg834gt_1_02_13.img) by browsing through the menu:

Maintenance -> Router Upgrade

Click the browse button within the admin web interface and find the latest firmware - dg834gt_1_02_13.img. Now click upload to upload the newest firmware on your Netgear DG834GT router. Once this completes you may have to log into the router again using the same username and password as you did previously. Check that your router is running the latest firmware by browsing through the menu:

Maintenance -> Router Status

The firmware version should be the same as the version you just uploaded to the device. Your Netgear DG834GT is now running the latest version of Netgear’s own firmware and the device will work with any ISP, including Sky.

One last note, If you had to login to the router using:

Username: admin
Password: sky

Categories: Hardware Tags: , ,
  1. mike
    November 1st, 2007 at 14:43 | #1

excellent guide - thankyou so much for this!

2. Michael Mascarenhas
    December 16th, 2007 at 11:01 | #2

excellent guide, worked first time. Many thanks

3. CEEJAY
    January 3rd, 2008 at 11:33 | #3

I bought a dg834gt not knowing it was locked to sky.This is an excellent guide,worked a treat & very quick , thanks

4. Street Hawk
    January 9th, 2008 at 23:07 | #4

Your a Complete Genius, Thanks so much for the Guide! it was simple, Straight forward quick & easy, Your a Legend Many Thanks!

5. Nigel
    January 13th, 2008 at 17:08 | #5

Hi I bought a sky dg834gt without knowing it was locked to sky, I have followed your instructions to the letter but the upgrade will not work for me, in the blue windows I have screens over imposed on each other and when I select upgrade the 0 - 100% bar does nothing, any ideas?

6. James Clements
    January 13th, 2008 at 23:59 | #6

Hi Nigel, I also experienced this when I was testing the process in VMWare Workstation. At the time I did research the issue and seem to remember there being a problem with a computer driver. I would suggest trying it on an alternative computer.

7. Chris
    January 18th, 2008 at 01:32 | #7

hi all just to say man your the best i've got my one up and running now i can bin that bt home hub and just to let you all know i have just put the new Version 1.02.13 on my modem and all is fine

8. Robert
    January 19th, 2008 at 22:16 | #8

Hi JJ,
    Many thanks for the info. I followed your instructions and had not the slightest trouble.
    I now have a "Sky" unit I can use with any ISP.
    You are a star. Cannot thank you enough

9. Ceedyrom
    January 24th, 2008 at 21:23 | #9

HI Well done mate have been looking for this.
    Cant believe SKY wont let customers update their routers with vital firmware updates.

10. ash
    January 27th, 2008 at 20:47 | #10

oh my god, you dont know how much i appreciate this.. there are loads of sites claiming to do this, you are the only one that has worked, thanks!!!

11. Scott Gibson
    March 18th, 2008 at 19:19 | #11

Hi Nigel,
    You can upgrade using Vista, just make sure that you run both apps in xp compatibility mode and use the 'run as administrator' command. I done this succesfully. Cheers for you help.
    Scott

12. Al
    March 20th, 2008 at 21:47 | #12

Fantastic… Well done. I carried out your instructions to the letter and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I now have a cheap Router from Ebay thanks to you.

Many thanks Alpha Foxtrot

13. Jim R.
    March 25th, 2008 at 12:37 | #13

DG834GT UNLOCK. Like everybody else, thanks for explaining in understandable language how to delete Rupert M. I too now have a top router at a budget price

14. Jim Dodd
    March 25th, 2008 at 19:08 | #14

Absolutly brilliant!
    I can't and don't need to say more
    Thanks

15. steven sparks
    March 28th, 2008 at 03:47 | #15

a1 mate will recomend everyone i know works great

16. Gerry Mooney
    March 28th, 2008 at 19:06 | #16

Thanks to your step by step instruction I now have a cheap (ex Sky) DG834GT wireless modem/router that will work with any ISP.
    You are the man

17. Mike
    March 29th, 2008 at 20:53 | #17

Thanks for the Vista help too Scott!

18. Cephas
    April 2nd, 2008 at 10:33 | #18

I am so pleased with your guide, it is brilliant!!!!!!!!!!. You have managed to help me recycle my brand new sky netgear router which I never used. God Bless you. I had spent so many hours on it sunday night and never got it working but just 15-20 minutes yeaterday and it was cracked.

19. xbont
    April 7th, 2008 at 13:29 | #19

Oops...i messed it up !!!
    I took Scott's advice on running this utility on a vista machine in XP compatability mode and screwed it up.
    I don't blame Scott though, its because of my stupid Dell machine i guess...i reached the stage when I had to click on upgrade...and the moment I did that I saw an error saying "a unexpected error occured...restarting your machine"....and that was the end of my router.
    Obviously the machine crashed at the time when the EEPROM was erased/being erased and now I simply cannot do it all over again for the simple fact that there is no MAC address ahown in the list of devices when u run the upgrade tool.
    Can someone think of a way I can still continue with this and give a new lease of life to my router???

20. Leonardo
    April 13th, 2008 at 11:11 | #20

Hi, when I went to the device list it doesn't find any.
    Any solutions?

Thanks

21. richardh
    April 16th, 2008 at 11:57 | #21

If the device list is empty make sure the lights are flashing as per the instructions. I was too eager and didn't check the lights and saw an empty device list. I tried again and it worked perfectly.

22. Tazza
    April 19th, 2008 at 17:49 | #22

Many thanks for these instructions - I was given a Sky router which Sky had diagnosed as not working so I wasn't expecting too much. I was able to update the firmware to version 1.02.04 then to 1.02.14 which is the latest (after updating to 1.02.04 the default Sky & Netgear passwords did not work initially so I reset with a paper clip - I had to do this twice then the Netgear password worked so persevere!!). I've now replaced my old DG834 with this & it's working fine on Tiscali. Once again thanks very much for posting this

23. Yves
    April 22nd, 2008 at 21:06 | #23

Thanks. I updated using a Windows 2000 Pro laptop. The firmware update took over an hour and was successful. Now the router has V1.02.09 - DGTeam Rev. 0743 firmware installed and its running well on Be* Unlimited.

24. Stu
    April 25th, 2008 at 15:50 | #24

Worked No problem, Thx verry much!

25. Sixto
    April 28th, 2008 at 22:02 | #25

I was in a bit of a rut after buying a DG834GT on ebay, but your guide made the upgrade a breeze. Thanks so much.

26. dave
    April 29th, 2008 at 16:21 | #26

spot on matey boy runs a treat and best of all my ports forwarded unlike wen i was with sky and there setting so now i can host network games on it ta very much

27. Rob
    May 7th, 2008 at 20:01 | #27

Does anyone know if i can do this with my mac osx? thanks

28. Chris
    May 24th, 2008 at 14:05 | #28

all good on the old one the DG834GT but sky now have the new black one out any one know how to unlock this one....?

29. Tim
    May 24th, 2008 at 21:32 | #29

hi - great guide and have followed this and other guides to the letter for the last few weeks - but keep getting stuck in the recovery utility. It just does nothing whatsoever when I click Upgrade on the last screen. Reading on here that someone's took 1 hour to upgrade maybe I am being to hasty - how long does the progress bar take to move from 0%..?

30. James Clements
    May 25th, 2008 at 15:55 | #30

Hi Tim. I have heard from some people that there have been problems with certain network card drivers being used. When I flashed my router it took approximately 5 minutes to update it and the progress bar moved steadily across the screen. If you are having problems at this stage of the flashing process it almost certainly sounds driver related. I would suggest trying the process on another (different) pc or laptop although my first instinct would be to actually check if there are newer drivers available for the NIC on the computer you are using.

Although I never mentioned this in the blog, I actually tried this to flash my router by running the application(s) in VMWare Workstation first of all. I had similar problems to what you are experiencing, including the application UpgradeWizard.exe actually not being able to display the progress bar properly. Needless to say I ended up flashing my router directly (no VMWare) as above and didn't experience any problems at all.

31. Bruce
    May 25th, 2008 at 19:33 | #31

Hi,

I don't usually post on forums but someone might find this helpful. A friend of mine needed a second router because the lack of wireless coverage in his home. He purchased a Sky DG834GT from
    an online auction and the plan was to extract his username/password from his original Sky router and setup the new Sky router with latest official Netgear firmware.

So I needed to extract the username/password from his original Sky router, which I've done in the past on my own router via the URL injection hack. The only problem is, the latest Sky firmware (V1.03.87) has stopped this method from working. After a lot of searching on different websites/forums, I didn't really find an answer. So I used the Sky CD that came with my router and downgraded the firmware from V1.03.87 to V1.02.28 via the Web interface - Router upgrade page and selected the older image file. This went through the normal process and completed fine.
    I could then extract his username/password via the URL injection method.

On his new router which he had just purchased, I followed the instructions on this site and came into problems with upgradewizard not displaying information correctly and hanging. As other people have said, this seems to be a hardware/driver related issue. I tried it on two different PC's that have different NIC's and drivers, I also tried VMWare but they all had the same problem. I dug out an old laptop and tried it on there and when I got to the selecting device it actually displayed a valid MAC address, which none of the other machines did. After this, the router was then upgraded to the latest official Netgear firmware (dg834gt_1_02_14.img) and has been running fine since.

Just wanted to say THANKS to everyone who has contributed to the above information and hope my experience can help someone else.

32. MichaelS-R
    June 11th, 2008 at 12:06 | #32

Superb - was pulling my hair out until I found your walk through!

33. suffering sam
    June 13th, 2008 at 15:33 | #33

Absolutely immaculate. Smooth as Silk ! Done in 4 minutes straight with 1.02.14 now the new FW. Happy with Talk Talk now from Sky.

34. Christine
    June 18th, 2008 at 18:56 | #34

thanks for the help. it was alot better than the site that says an idiots guide to unlocking sky netgear. I am a computer technican and the idiots guide wasn't for idiots

35. jeremy
    July 3rd, 2008 at 21:53 | #35

Excellent guide -- works a treat with talktalk (remember to change the mtu to 1400)

36. kris
    July 4th, 2008 at 20:13 | #36

ive re-flashed it and it appears to work fine as a network router, i just cant get it to connect to wanadoo bband, any ideas i put in correct username and password etc

37. Chas
    July 5th, 2008 at 12:21 | #37

Excellent, worked a treat. Picked up an Ex-Sky router from Ebay for £15 and am very content.

38. jonnym
    July 7th, 2008 at 21:15 | #38

You are a genius - can finally escape the clutches of Sky!

39. Darth Router
    July 7th, 2008 at 23:03 | #39

The new Sky black DG934 router can be "upgraded" to non-Sky firmware by working through the instructions on this thread here

I bought a DG934 for £5 + £5 postage on eBay and now have an "unlocked" router with the latest Netgear firmware up and running 100%

As they say in the movies, the answer is out there :D

40. Darth Router
    July 7th, 2008 at 23:05 | #40

Add to the above - the poster "digitaldazz" has the answer, read each of his posts - one of them has a concise set of instructions distilled from all the chat in that thread.

Good luck and enjoy.

41. Rimski
    July 13th, 2008 at 00:48 | #41

Fantastic, worked perfectly using Windows XP (does not work with Vista). Thank you very much. A****

42. Pete
    July 17th, 2008 at 09:16 | #42

Hi
    Sorry about this very noob! I just picked up one of these from ebay. Is this procedure done while my computer is connected to the internet via my own router? Or do I remove mine and connect the Netgear to my phone line?

43. James Clements
    July 18th, 2008 at 08:43 | #43

Pete, remove all network connections of any kind from your computer. Then plug a network cable between your computer and the new Netgear router you wish to flash. The Netgear router doesn't need to be plugged into your phone line. Just make sure that the only networking devices connected are your pc and the router.

44. Richard Short
    August 8th, 2008 at 12:54 | #44

Hello JJ,
    thanks for the time in recording all this info.
    Went through your instructions and got to the "access the admin web interface" but cannot get to it. Do you just type in "http://192.168.0.1" and just search, or type it in the Run box, and search?
    I am trying to use the Netgear with Virgin media broadband. The connections I have are 2 standard Ethernet cable connections to the computer and to the back of the router, both are plugged into 2 out of the 4 standard sockets. Do I need to have the Virgin modem box plugged into the grey router socket?
    Also the Firmware version 1.02.04 file has the G clamp icon in the middle file icon instead of the 6 picture file icon. Is that still ok, they are all in the same folder, as per your instruction.
    regards,
    Richard

45. Liz
    August 11th, 2008 at 13:17 | #45

Managed to flash router and it appears as NETGEAR in my list of available networks. My netgear laptop card says its connected to NETGEAR. NETGEAR says it's connected to wireless network, but it won't let me access any internet pages. Asks me to check my connection.
    Box lights are Power on, Wireless - flashing, No 1 on (cable still connected) any ideas please?

I'm on BT.

46. Rob
    August 13th, 2008 at 19:49 | #46

Hi
    Most helpful instructions, only problem is, it doesn't work!

I've been trying to flash a sky dg834gt, as per your instructions, but keep failing at the point where I should see a device. If I flash the router with the current sky firmware (1.03.87, as it came installed with) the device appears and it runs without any problem. However if I try any of the netgear firmware versions the device doesn't appear. Reading all the posts I get the feeling that I need to roll the sky formware ver back to 1.02.28, and then flash to a netgear version. Any ideas where I can get 1.02.28? I can't find it on the sky user web.
    I've even tried renaming a netgear img to the same as the sky one, no joy; tried using the sky img file to get a device and then swappingthe file for a netgear one (using same name), but no joy.
    It seems that the latest sky firmware is specifically designed to stop anyone from changing to a netgear version.

Any suggestions?

47. Andy
    August 17th, 2008 at 01:06 | #47

I'm having the same issue as Rob. i've tried it in so many diff ways. usin Vista, altho was advised by yourself not to and in Xp.

oh rob, you wont be able to use Firmware 1.02.28 to flash the sky router back, it wont let ya, its locked to sky :(

i think i have to agree that the most recent Sky firmware V1.03.87 has completly locked you from flashing it!

Anyways, i'll keep tryin diff things to Flash this and if i find out will let uz know.

Andy

48. Rob
    August 18th, 2008 at 16:56 | #48

Good news, managed to get rid of the rotten sky firmware.

What I did was download a 3rd party firmware from:
    Go to the download tab and download the latest: Firmware 1.02.09.UberGT1.06 BETA 4 (file name is UberGT1-06-beta4.img). Copy the download img file into the netgear recovery dir, and run as per the instructions at the top of this thread. A device was found first time and the box was reflashed successfully.

Then log onto the router, remembering that the login/pwd is now admin/password. You should get the full menu.

You can stop at this point, as this firmware is good to go, and has some extra settings, for mail servers I believe.

Personally, I then went on and ran an updrade from the netgear/uberGTI menu, browsed to a previously downloaded official netgear img (I used dg834gt_1_02_14.img), and upgraded the firmware to this. Why oh why couldn't it have been this easy when I was trying last week? Damn you Sky!

Hope this helps.

Cheers Rob.
    p.s. pc is running XP

49. Dave
    August 25th, 2008 at 04:29 | #49

Hi,

Many thanks for this - mother-in-law moved from Sky to TalkTalk and wanted to use the Sky router instead of paying £30 for a new one from TalkTalk.

Worked an absolute treat. Followed the instructions precisely and it's great.

Many thanks

Dave

50. Myk
    August 30th, 2008 at 21:39 | #50

I have followed your instructions on two different "sky" units. Both have given the same response. After I've run the RmDrv file I start the upgrade wizard. The first blue confirmation screen comes up, I click OK and a little box pops up stating "Open Registry Fail". Any answers to this please?

51. James Clements
    August 31st, 2008 at 13:57 | #51

Myk, it sounds to me like you do have administrator privileges on your computer. Make sure the user account you are logging onto your computer with is a member of the administrators group.

52. paul w
    September 5th, 2008 at 14:51 | #52

Thanks for the intsructions. They seemed to work perfectly. I carried out the 'flashing' on my old XP PC and once completed tried to use the router on my new Vista laptop. The laptop is talking to the router perfectly OK but the router is not connecting to the internet. Did it just not work or did it brake the router? I am not very technical and am lost. Can you help please?

53. Myk
    September 5th, 2008 at 19:19 | #53

Thanks James but I have just checked my user account and I have full admin privilages.

54. steven w
    September 12th, 2008 at 13:36 | #54

Great guide and easy to follow. The problem is that after I ran the utility all the way to the end it says 'Upgrade failed'. and now all the router does is blink its green and orange light alternatively.

Is it bricked? I tried running the utility again but it can't find the device anymore. I tried the renaming a DG834PN firmware trick but that doesn't work.
    Any suggestions? Thanks

55. James Clements
    September 12th, 2008 at 13:51 | #55

Steven, what operating system did you use to flash the router? Did you use VMWare workstation? I've only ever seen a friend brick a router when he used Vista to flash it hence the note in the guide not to use Vista. Can you also tell me what lights are flashing?

56. steven w
    September 12th, 2008 at 14:17 | #56

Actually I tried it again on a Vista laptop with the DG834PN firmware and it worked! So the moral of the story is to try as many computers as you can (I tired 4) and using this firmware if the device list won't recognise the router.

Here is what I did.
    Yay.

57. graham
    September 29th, 2008 at 19:31 | #57

absolutely fantastic! I've been given a sky dg834gt and have been looking for a way of getting it working. I'm just going to give the whole thing a try now (nothing ventured nothing gained)

58. Steve
    October 1st, 2008 at 19:19 | #58

Absolutely brilliant!! Sky sent me two 834GT's originally as the guy in India decided that the first one they sent me was faulty. I didn’t bother to send the first one back, put in the loft for a year or so, it was only when a friend wanted a wireless Modem/Router that I thought I would take a look on Google for a hack. This was far the best set of instructions I found and it worked, not at first but I read through the comments and note the issue with some computers. Tried another computer and worked like a dream. Its happily working on TalkTalk broadband. Thanks again

59. Laurence Marr
    October 6th, 2008 at 13:23 | #59

Cheers James, I followed your guide a couple of weeks back on a Sky DG834GT I got from an online forum. Worked Perfectly first time!

I'd recommend the DG Team firmware (that's what I stuck on mine). Some great features, best one for me being the SNR margin adjuster.

60. James Clements
    October 6th, 2008 at 20:20 | #60

Hi Laurence. I totally agree that the Uber GT Firmware is by far the best I've seen for the DG834GT. My ISP is BeThere and I also use the firmware to adjust my SNR and slightly lower my download speed for a more stable connection.

61. Ben
    October 7th, 2008 at 20:50 | #61

Thank you James. Following an ebay purchase of a Sky DG834GT and an awkward night, last night, trying to set it up on my girlfriend's PlusNet DSL, you've saved my skin today. Happy girlfriend, happy me!

62. Peter Stuart
    October 13th, 2008 at 18:25 | #62

Top man, this is the first web fix I've used that works and James does it for free! A very clever fella.

63. Steve
    October 14th, 2008 at 18:05 | #63

Hi everybody, got a problem with this, followed instructions to the letter.
    Run RmDrv and get screen instantly saying:
    Running first Service Control Entries
    Running second Service Control Entries
    Program execute finish, press any key to exit
    _

I press any key and that display disappears.

Then I go to upgrade wizard
    select adaptor card and press next
    Then I get display:
    Could not get system information correctly
    Please exit Upgrade Utility and execute RmDrv.exe which is located in the same directory with Upgrade Utility, the runUpgrade Utility again.

I have done this but just going round in circles, any help out there for me??? I have tried on 3 PC's and get same result!!

64. James Clements
    October 15th, 2008 at 09:33 | #64

Hi Steve. Just to clarify - you only have a single network cable running between the computer you are using and the router. No other networked devices should be plugged into either the computer or the router. If this is the case then I recommend borrowing a different laptop from someone and trying it with that. Make sure it is running Windows XP.

I have never seen this problem before but as unlikely as it sounds (as you say you have tried three computers already) it seems like it could be a driver issue. Either that or the network cable you are using could faulty.

I would suggest trying a new Ethernet cable and a different laptop.

65. Steve
    October 15th, 2008 at 12:27 | #65

Hi James, interesting I have tried new ethernet cable and now get through that section but no device found, have tried on 2 PCs and 1 laptop!!

66. Steve
    October 15th, 2008 at 12:31 | #66

Extra info: The pc is an AMD athlon xp220+ 1.79Ghz with onboard NVIDIA nForce MCP Network Adaptor

67. James Clements
    October 15th, 2008 at 13:07 | #67

Steve, I'm glad that's working. I would recommend making sure you try it on a computer with an Intel network card. That's what I always use and I've never had an issue.

If not, have you tried the network lead in different ports on the router? Sometimes the contacts inside the physical port can become bent and not make contact with the RJ-45 plug properly.

68. Steve
    October 15th, 2008 at 13:55 | #68

Hi James, thanks for all your help, discovered a firewall was stopping device coming up ( could be other peoples problem) Diabled firewall and hey presto I now have a Netgear router, as always your help and advise is fantastic, Regards Steve

69. Kevin
    October 23rd, 2008 at 10:02 | #69

James
    I've got a Virgin Netgear DG834GSP V3 that has the same Firmware as the Sky DG834GT (V1.02.04). I can get the router working on my own ISP just by going into http://192.168.0.1 and changing the settings (this is also how I know what the firmware version is). The problem I have is that I can't upgrade the firmware despite trying your process here. After selecting the network device list I don't get the MAC address, simply a shadow box with one field having DG834 in and the other E417. Any ideas, it sounds like the process should be very similar.

70. Leon
    November 4th, 2008 at 17:01 | #70

Thank you James, this information help me also, you are doing a great job here, keep it up buddy
    Cheers

71. Matt
    November 7th, 2008 at 16:52 | #71

My problem is getting the router to talk to the PC at the 1st stage (after inserting the paperclip and powering on).

I get the 2 flashing light but am then unable to obtain an ip address. I can get the ip address if powering on the router normally so the ports seem to work although I have tried all 4 ports.

I've tried 3 machines with different network cards (broadcom, nvidia and realtek) all running xp pro and with no other network devices attached. I've also updated the drivers and checked that it's set to obtain an address automatically.

I tried a different cable as well.

Any ideas?

72. James Clements
    November 7th, 2008 at 21:57 | #72

Hi Matt. Your are correct in saying you are not getting an IP address, obviously you can't if the router is your only DHCP server and it is in diagnostics mode. Your assumption about not being able to get the 'router to talk to the PC' is however incorrect. Data is transmitted using the MAC addresses of each physical network component. When you run the UpgradeWizard.exe a MAC broadcast is sent through the Ethernet cable to all hosts using the ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff address. This allows the application on your PC to discover and communicate with the router, thereby allowing you to flash it.

73. Matt
    November 7th, 2008 at 23:24 | #73

Thanks for the response James, i've now tried it on an intel based chipset with the same results.

i've gone through the wizard and I get the same as a few of the posters above with the screens imposed over themselves. I don't get the mac address screen and the upgrade process doesn't progress.

My lan network shows limited access and the ip address default to the windows default ip

I'm sure i'm just being thick but what am I missing...... :o )

74. Matt
    November 9th, 2008 at 11:16 | #74

I found a workaround for my problem

Downloaded the file DG834GT-1SKUKS_V1.02.14.img from

Powered up the router normally and logged into 192.168.0.1

Went to router upgrade and browsed to the file.

Once this proggressed to 100% I could then change my user name and password to my new isp and use the router successfully.

I had hoped that I could then flash to the official netgear firmware but still can't.

Problem with this is if the upgrade fails your pretty much stuffed if you cannot get the netgear recovery utility to work.

75. ganjaman
    November 13th, 2008 at 19:47 | #75

matt you are a diamond. i tried to flash my router and it didn't work but your method does. i owe you my gratitude and a pint :o )

p.s your link doesnt work right. this is what it should be

76. Alan
    November 25th, 2008 at 23:56 | #76

Bought mine on Ebay and followed your instructions James.
    Worked perfectly. I still have the same sky password i.e. sky to log the router and the network shows on my laptop as SKY30620.
    I have not tried to change this, but presume it's OK to leave as it is.
    It works fine on Talk Talk and wirelessly on my Toshiba laptop using Vista.
    However I cannot get a satisfactory wireless connection to my Sony laptop using XP home. The wireless connection status shows it's connected to the network SKY30620, with full signal strength. When I try a URL it will try to connect very slowly. Packets sent and received move up very slowly and then gives up. I used the diagnostic device, which makes the router lights flicker, but it will not make a perfect connection. I try the repair method , but this says my wireless setup is not correctly set.
    I have removed the Talk Talk modem software from the system.
    I have setting the router to the laptop IP address, but it doesn't help.
    I am out of my depth here, so can anyone help please?
    Vista on the Toshiba, doesn't need any setup, it connects with a click on the wireless icon and works fine.
    Thanks

77. Matt
    November 26th, 2008 at 17:11 | #77

Alan, what encryption do you have the router set to (wep or wpa?)

It may be worth setting this to disabled briefly to see if this sort the problem.

78. Alan
    November 26th, 2008 at 22:31 | #78

Matt thanks,

WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)
    I will try disabled

79. Alan
    November 26th, 2008 at 23:31 | #79

I am trying unprotected.
    It tells me I have a duplcate network.
    Looking at the list of networks I cannot see a duplicate.
    Home wireless is listed as unsecured. This doesn't always show.
    I can see that my Sky connection is listed as automatic,not connected It will automaticaly switches to a Tiscali router which may be a neighbour, then tries to obtain that IP address, but it is secure.

When I ask it to repair, it always tries to connect to this one.
    I noticed that at one moment during the repair, my network was shown as firewalled. I have turned off the firewall, but it will not connect to sky. It continuously tries to aquire the Tiscali IP address.
    When I click on my network to connect. A box opens and shows a progress bar which eventually shows connected, but it isn't.
    Well that's the result so far.
    Thanks for your help

80. James Clements
    November 27th, 2008 at 09:37 | #80

Alan,

It would seem that your laptop ('Sony laptop using XP home') is trying to connect to another wireless network. To change the default wireless network you are connecting to with this laptop you need to:

Double click the icon of the wireless network connection in the system tray next to your clock -> Under related tasks click 'Change the order of preferred networks' -> Remove the wireless networks that are unneeded from the list of 'preferred networks'

The first wireless network listed in the 'preferred networks' list is the network your laptop is trying to connect to first. I am guessing this is your neighbours and not your own hence the problem you are having. Changing the order and/or removing the unnecessary wireless network from that list so that only your own wireless network is available to connect to will fix this.

81. Alan
    November 27th, 2008 at 13:33 | #81

Thanks James,
    I will try this again, but I have done this and only have my own network showing, as peferred. Then when I click on show list of available networks, they are still all listed. Sometimes mine is at the top, sometimes it's 2nd or third, out of 5 or 6.
    I suppose this is how it should be, but although I only have one preferred, it will automaticaly move to aquire the IP address from the next one on the main list.
    It does usually try mine first, so I presume the problem lies with my laptop settings, so I will have another go.
    The Toshiba using Vista, is set up the same, and lists the same networks available, but has no problem in connecting first time. I did not even need to make a preferred list. Since mine is only one with a full signal strength

82. Matt
    November 27th, 2008 at 16:33 | #82

Couple of things Alan, are you using the wireless software that came with your laptop? If so I would uninstall this and use windows. (make sure Wireless Zero Configuration is running in services.msc)

I would then reinstall the wireless nic driver

Once reinstalled

Goto the wireless network properties and click on the wireless network tab and make sure that you sky connection is the only one in preffered networks and that there is a tick next to Use windows to configure my wireless settings.

Click on advanced and make sure there is no tick in automatically connect to non prefered networks

Also check the general tab do you have one entry for tcp/ip or does it show more that one?

If you can connect to your router check what ip address do you get - it should be 198.168.0.x

If you can connect but still can't browse You could try flushing the dns cache (type ipconfig /flushdns)

then ipconfig /renew

83. Alan
    November 28th, 2008 at 23:12 | #83

Thanks Matt,
    I reinstalled from the XP CD. couldn't find services misc.
    Checked I only had one preferred network.
    I did have 2 TCP/IP entries. I kept the Internet protocol
    I still couldn't browse although connected.
    ran- ipconfig /flushdns, Windows couldn't find it
    Shut down Zone alarm, because I couln't figure out how to allow my router connection.
    Then tried to Switch on Windows firewall, but it wouldn't.
    Checked network connections and noticed that I was also connected to the 1394 net adapter.
    I disabled this and bingo, I was browsing.

I had to restart to sort out the firewall. I was able to use windows firewall but Zonealarm would block the connection, I had to close it again.
    Thank you and James for your time and expertise in helping me.

Alan

84. tanveer
    December 22nd, 2008 at 15:36 | #84

when i was doing this i got to the bit when i have to choose a network card and the current page, was stuck with the previous page and it was like guled together i had to just cancel the recover utlity... any 1 no why?

85. Alessio
    January 4th, 2009 at 20:26 | #85

Hi !! I have reed the guide but I have two question, after the flashing of the new firmware is it possible to change the username and the password with 2 random ? and another thing, the lock it's only a software thing or there is something different in the hardware ?

86. James Clements
    January 5th, 2009 at 12:35 | #86

Tanveer: You need to try flashing it on a different computer. As per the comments above there are issues with certain network cards. Hopefully the next computer you try will have a different network card.

Alessio: After flashing the firmware it is possible to reset the the device back to the Netgear default username and password by using a paperclip or pen and pressing/holding the reset button on the back of the router. This will reset the credentials to:

Username: admin
    Password: password

Lastly, the 'lock' as you put it is purely firmware (the software on the router) specific and not hardware related.

87. Johnny
    January 22nd, 2009 at 13:59 | #87

Hi

Had tried the instructions above, got the two flashing lights, ran both appls in order, get to the selection of network cards (firewire, wireless and ethernet), when I select ethernet plugged in to router I get the next screen but nothing listed

When I try to go back to the router typing 192.168.0.1 I can no longer connect to the router either to restore my old settings

I am using a Dell netbook

Any help would be appreciated

88. Tony
    January 25th, 2009 at 14:39 | #88

Hi,

I had to try 3 computers before the ugrade would complete. The upgrade utility now get to the end and says that the upgrade is complete, but afterwards the lights on the front flash in an odd pattern and I can't login to the router. The power light comes on, then the test light (tick mark) flashes orange twice. The power light stays on for a few seconds then goes out. It then comes back on and the wole sequence repeats. Meanwhile, the wireless and LAN likes flicker at regular intervals as if trying to make a conection. On the computer the network icon in the system tray (bottom right hand corner) alternates between trying to aquire and IP address and telling that a network cable is unplugged. This last happens on all 3 computers.

I'm a bit foxed. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

89. Tony
    January 27th, 2009 at 17:49 | #89

I solved the above problem by replacing the power supply.

Tony

90. Laura
    January 27th, 2009 at 23:59 | #90

Thank you for taking time to help us non-techies, worked straight away. My son now thinks im a genius! Still had problems getting the router to connect to my isp - this link worked a treat

Keep up the good work xxx

91. Shaun
    February 2nd, 2009 at 22:16 | #91

Does anyone else have problems downloading the firmware and recovery utility files from the Netgear website?

My router is ex-sky so I know to have to flash it to allow me to set it up for my new-ish ISP (O2). I've been searching for ages on forums and this is definitely one of the most helpful but i'm still having problems.

I've tried downloading the Recovery Utility file with McAfee and Windows firewalls turned off but no joy. I just get a message saying the web page is unavailable!!! I have downloaded them on my laptop running Vista but have read not to flash the router using Vista as it will knacker it. I have been able to d/l the UberGT1-06-beta4.img file mentioned earlier in posts but if my understanding is right i still need the Recovery Utility file for this to work?

92. James Clements
    February 2nd, 2009 at 23:31 | #92

Hi Shaun,

Firstly - whatever you do don't use Vista! How about downloading it on the Vista machine and using a CD or USBDrive to transfer it? I updated the download links a couple of days ago. I have just tried them and they are working, I can download all 3 files.

Download the files and put them on a Windows XP computer and try the method in the post above to restore the native Netgear firmware on your router.

93. Shaun
    February 3rd, 2009 at 19:17 | #93

Hi James,

Thanks for your help but i think i've bricked it!

I think i broke the reset switch as it's not working and now something is rattling inside. Unless someone can tell me an alternative way to reset the router it's game over! Is it possible to open the unit up without damaging it so i can check the reset switch?

I'm trying to replace my Thompson (O2) router as I'm struggling with it regularly losing connection when on Xbox live and port forwarding is a bit of a nightmare. I've also heard the wireless security is non-existent as its extremely easily hacked. If you or any of the posters have any ideas I would be really appreciative.

94. James Clements
    February 4th, 2009 at 13:12 | #94

Shaun, you can open the devices (without damaging them). I have done so myself a couple of times. There are a few screws on the underside of the device and then the bottom lifts off. If you have broken the reset switch then I think you are going to need your soldering iron to fix it!

95. f1ngers
    February 5th, 2009 at 23:17 | #95

I got hold of second SKY DG834GT and attempted to flash it with the NetGear firmware but the PC 'blue screened' whilst erasing eeprom. After that there was no device listed in the Device List. Tried different PC's, firmware etc. but thought I had bricked it. I saw steven w's comment above about using the DG834PN firmware and decided to give it a try - Worked a treat. Now running with the latest Netgear firmware.
    To recap steven w's comment:

96. Toby Poynder
    February 16th, 2009 at 10:08 | #96

Thank you very much for your clear, accurate and helpful guide!

97. fihart
    February 16th, 2009 at 13:48 | #97

An interesting thread. Only thing I couldn't find was a warning not to try to flash any router via a wireless link -- always use ethernet cable.

From my own experience there can be issues with some Network Interface Cards, the symptom is that the screens shown in the original piece appear corrupt. I had to try with a couple of different computers before I succeeded with reflashing.

There is a wealth of knowledge about the Sky DG834GT and newer Sky routers from Sagem and Netgear on http://www.skyuser.co.uk

See also Netgear's own user forum.

98. Jabba Jon
    February 18th, 2009 at 23:17 | #98

If you are using VMWARE from a mac, make sure you have wireless turned off on the Mac, otherwise you won't see the router in the device list.

Cheers

99. Nick S
    February 25th, 2009 at 19:53 | #99

Works really well - many thanks. Update programme appears to not like Dell PCs fitted with Broadcom network card (even when the latest driver is installed), but worked a treat on an HP computer.

100. J-Pro
    March 16th, 2009 at 00:26 | #100

Thank you very much! I live in Republic of Moldova(near Ukraine) and this router I received from my uncle from UK. It was Sky branded of course and I couldn't set it to work with my local ISP. Read a lot of info and the only thing that helped - is your article. It's VERY clear and accurate, and for sure very useful.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! My NetGear router works now just like clock! ;)

101. David
    March 23rd, 2009 at 18:26 | #101

Thanks for the great article. I only have one PC with more than one network card and that is a new Vista laptop. It wouldn't work on any of the other PCs.

On Vista set the properties of BOTH executables to

1) run in XP compatibility mode
    2) run as administrator
    3) disable visual themes
    4) disable desktop composition

It runs perfectly! I now have my old sky router up and running on Tiscali!

Many, many thanks.

102. dave
    April 12th, 2009 at 21:31 | #102

A big thankyou for this post. It told us everything we needed to flash this router. I looked at other posts and they missed out vital info ie disable 3rd party firewalls and the Sky password using sky instead of password. This post contained a comprehensive tuition that covered simple but vital info needed to tranform the crap sky firmware to a workable generic router. A most grateful thanks.
    David

103. Joe Blog
    April 14th, 2009 at 20:32 | #103

You are my GOD..... thank you soo much for this, now i can have a router at 2 ends of my house so i am totally immersed in wireless wherever i am. other tutorials failed me. yours didnt.

104. Dingle
    April 14th, 2009 at 23:14 | #104

I knew how to do this from a previous sky router but had forgotten. Thanks for making life easier. I think that Sky are guilty of a potentially restrictive practice. I am surprised that Ofcom have not picked up on this.

105. Varun
    April 18th, 2009 at 12:16 | #105

A noob question. I have a RJ 45 broadband coming in and I have my sky router which has an ADSL input. Do I need a RJ 45 to ADSL converter or because it doesnt recognize the connection.

106. Fozza
    April 21st, 2009 at 19:12 | #106

Many thanks you have saved me the cost of a new router as my new work laptop is set to only work with WPA2 which the sky version did not support. The latest version V1.02.19 supports all of the versions from wep to WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK. You are the best...

107. Fozza
    April 21st, 2009 at 19:52 | #107

Just a note, please be very carefull if you still want to use the router on SKY, do not reset the router as per the instructions given above.(See below)

"One last note, If you had to login to the router using:

Username: admin
    Password: sky

You will probably want to reset your router back to its factory default settings by using a pen or paperclip to push and hold the reset button on the back of the router for about 10 seconds whilst the device is powered on."

Unless you have used the SKY Router Password Generator which can be found on https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

I reset my router as above and found that it had lost all the settings, luckily I had kept a copy of the actual username and password that SKY set the router to. Hope this helps...

108. Jamie
    April 26th, 2009 at 08:08 | #108

Hey i really need help wen i run the upgradewizard it just say open registry fail! and i have admin rights so am totaly stuck on this one. i have even downgraded it from 1.3 to 1.2 and still no luck cud some plz advise me i am in much need of it?

109. SiteGuru
    May 18th, 2009 at 15:31 | #109

@Varun,

Sounds like you have cable broadband. So this tutorial is irrelevant - you can't use an ADSL (telephone line) router (like the DG834GT) on a cable connection. :)

110. suffering sam
    May 20th, 2009 at 18:35 | #110

HI,
    Sky 834GT was working fine for abt a year with talktalk after using the utlitiy from this forum, but since ISP was down yesterday & today whole day, Whilst troubleshooting multiple times with the lady in India, I think ive lost/mistyped the login & password to get into the router menu! (Admin/Sky & Admin/Password) dont work.
    Any other way of getting into the router menu ? Tried reflashing it and also the pen job/power button thingy, again but still doesnt allow me inside to change my password with my ISP. Cant connect to the net either.

When typing admin/sky the message says"The server 192.168.0.1 at NETGEAR DG834GT requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection).

Its a windows Xp sp3 dell machine. Any ideas & help?

Thanks in advance

111. number8
    May 23rd, 2009 at 22:12 | #111

hi, many many thanks for your tutorial.
    as others have said, i too followed other sites to get this sorted but yours was by far the easiest to follow.
    thanks!

I wanted to get wireless access at my dads place using my old router but i didnt want to mess up his talktalk connection. so ive got an ethernet cable running the wireless router connection for me to access on my Mac which is working fine.
    But, its running a but slow. Is there something im missing?

thanks again!

112. scott smith
    June 15th, 2009 at 21:26 | #112

i have flashed my dg934g router all ok, but when i try to access ip via 192.168.0.1 it does not find the router? can anyone help me??

113. James Clements
    June 16th, 2009 at 09:59 | #113

Scott, have you then tried to reset the device to the factory defaults by pressing and holding the reset button with a paperclip?

114. Numskull
    June 17th, 2009 at 20:08 | #114

Thanks a bundle!!!
    Also to Netgear for their product commitment (current firmware is now v19).
    Please note, you do NOT need to use any earlier firmware version after resetting the router.

115. AC
    July 13th, 2009 at 18:47 | #115

didnt work for me on a realtek built in NIC, so tried it on an Asus card, then an intel card. still nothing showing in the devices area. lights are flashing, tried the ubergt flash as well, but nothing.

disappointed. I've run out of cards and computers

116. Jezdg
    July 15th, 2009 at 16:47 | #116

Thanks stevenw it worked for me on Vista (using Intel nic)!
    No luck on 2 XP PCs with onboard Realteks

"Placed the 834PN firmware in the utility folder and renamed it firmware.img. Followed the instructions to the device list. Do not press next. Delete the firmware and put in the real 834GT firmware (renamed to firmware.img) into the folder. Then upgrade as usual."

117. Dan
    July 28th, 2009 at 10:23 | #117

i have flashed my dg934g router all ok, but when i try to access ip via 192.168.0.1 it does not find the router? I have reset the router twice but with no change, any help would be great. many thanks

118. James Clements
    July 28th, 2009 at 13:56 | #118

Dan,

Does the computer in question have a static ip address set? If it does it could be on a different subnet and therefore be unable to communicate with the router. Make sure your pc is configured to receive an ip address via dhcp. It should then get an ip address from the router and you will be able to access it.

119. Dan
    July 28th, 2009 at 14:03 | #119

Thanks James. I'm at work, so i will check the settings tonight and report back. Thanks for the help.

120. Dan
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:23 | #120

James, checked all the settings, everything seems to be ok. the only thing i did notice is when the router powers up the wireless symbol does not light up. Could this mean the routers knackered, or should i repeat the firmware task again?

121. James Clements
    July 31st, 2009 at 13:53 | #121

Dan,

Before you try re-flashing the firmware I would set a static ip on your pc, say:

192.168.0.10 - 255.255.255.0

The default ip for the router after being reset is 192.168.0.1 so the above ip will be fine. Then try and ping the router and see if it responds. Regardless, I would still try to access it in a browser by opening http://192.168.0.1. It might just be that DHCP is disabled on the router and that is why you can't get an ip. Setting a static ip address on your pc will allow you to access it if this is the case.

If you have no joy then I would try re-flashing it again. At this point you have nothing to lose! That said, this is the first time I have heard of someone having this issue. Usually the problems occur when people use Windows Vista to flash their router. I am assuming here that you have used Windows XP :)

122. Dan
    July 31st, 2009 at 14:08 | #122

Thanks James, yes using xp. how do you set a static ip? I know how to get there, not sure what numbers to put in what box, sorry.

123. Dan
    July 31st, 2009 at 14:18 | #123

James, how does this look

ip address 192.168.0.10
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    default 192.168.0.1

prefered dns 192.168.0.1

124. GS
    August 1st, 2009 at 15:26 | #124

Very clear instructions! Worked a treat!

125. James Clements
    August 1st, 2009 at 17:21 | #125

Dan,

That looks fine. To be honest you are only trying to access the router at this stage. The gateway and dns addresses are not needed to access the router - but it wont matter that you have put those addresses in.

126. Matt
    August 3rd, 2009 at 17:36 | #126

hi james,

thanks for your really clear guide. i've just successfully 'unlocked' a sky netgear dg834gt router and used it with tiscali as ISP. It all worked exactly as you described and has made the £1 router i bought an absolute steal! i can now go wireless at my in-laws...

matt

127. tim
    August 9th, 2009 at 16:22 | #127

An excellent guide. This worked the first time fo me!

128. Gavin
    August 10th, 2009 at 10:13 | #128

Hi,

I'm having a strange issue with the Recovery Utility. I've tried it on 2 different XP machines, and a Vista box and as the process continues the boxes are all messed up and on top of each other.

I've enclosed 2 sample images to show you what I mean.

I've tried re-downloading the software but it still does the same. I don't want to commit to updating the firmware as it obviously shouldn't be doing this.

Any ideas?

129. James Clements
    August 10th, 2009 at 16:52 | #129

Hi Gavin,

The only time I have seen this was when I tested the flashing process in VMWare workstation. Unfortunately I got to a certain point and could not flash the router. I know you have tried a couple of computers already but my only advice would be to try yet another :(

130. Gavin
    August 10th, 2009 at 17:47 | #130

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. I've been doing some googling and it seems quite a common issue. One person had posted trying 20 different PC's, all running XP, with no success. I was about to give up hope when I spotted a post on a forum (which unfortunately I don't have to hand as it was at work) who claimed that he'd solved why this problem was happening. Apparently, on some machines, the software falls over when there is only one network adapter in the adapter card list.

I followed his instructions and set up a Microsoft Loopback Adapter. People can do this by following the instructions here...

...and voila! It blooming worked. There were now 2 options in the Adapter Card List. I selected my ethernet card and it went through the process perfectly. I now have an unlocked and updated router.

Hope it helps anyone else who has this problem.

131. M Butler
    September 2nd, 2009 at 08:47 | #131

Brilliant, thanks for this James. I did it on Vista following Scott's advice in comment 11 and it worked a charm. Thanks again.

132. tubbyasstoo
    September 12th, 2009 at 18:21 | #132

thanks this worked perfectly for me on win xp pro sp3 and acer aspire one netbook

nb, I had problems when only 1 network adapter was available on another laptop, and when I forgot to run rmdrv

133. tubbyasstoo
    September 12th, 2009 at 18:22 | #133

nb I went straight for the latest firmware

134. help09
    September 14th, 2009 at 07:40 | #134

Hi James

I have upgraded my router to 1.02.19 but it still doesn't connect. My isp is talktalk. On their website it says the older version of this router (v1 and v2) are not compatible with their connection. Could they be right?

I've disabled the 1394 net adapter and have realtek rtl8139 installed.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

135. James Clements
    September 14th, 2009 at 15:32 | #135

Hey,

Have you logged into the router and correctly configured it to connect to talktalk? I.e with the correct username/password and connection settings. If not they can be found here:

Assuming you have, you should probably be aware that you need to have an ADSL filter on every telephone extension point.

I have never heard of a particular issue such as the "CHAP Authentication Failed" before. I guess talktalk have tested it and found an error though. Make sure you have the latest firmware on the router (you already mentioned you have the latest.)

I also found the following blog post that may be of help. It mentions changing the MTU on the router but I can't be sure this is the cause of the problem you are experiencing:

There also looks to be a link to some beta firmware as well that may be worth a try - at your own risk of course :)

136. Paul M
    October 5th, 2009 at 21:04 | #136

Hi, Like others, I thought I had totalled my router by using Vista to run the recovery utility, causing a BSOD. Every time I tried to run the recovery utility, no devices were being listed.

But I just tried the technique described at

..and found out I needed to use the 834PNB img, which I then swapped out for the one I wanted (DGTeam) once the MAC was detected. I ran the utility in XP compatability mode on Vista, which worked fine

yay!

137. Mike
    October 6th, 2009 at 20:39 | #137

I think im the only one with this problem but when i click on next at the first screen on the upgrade wizard i get this message "Open registry Fail" then i have to click on ok.

Does anyone know why it says this???

138. Steve
    October 8th, 2009 at 19:51 | #138

Can you use the Recovery utility in Linux using Wine ?

139. Steve
    October 9th, 2009 at 08:08 | #139

"Can you use the Recovery utility in Linux using Wine ?"

I asked over at the Skyusers forum, Seems its not advisable

140. James Clements
    October 9th, 2009 at 12:18 | #140

Steve,

Unfortunately I have not tried it but judging from the issues people have had with Vista (even if they can recover their bricked device now) I wouldn't have thought it was worth the hassle.

141. Ahmad
    October 13th, 2009 at 23:24 | #141

hi james,
    i m using XP. but i could not unblock router. when the utility pass on last screen it does not show any progress in progress bar.
    could u please help me out.

142. Icki
    October 17th, 2009 at 11:56 | #142

Thank you very much! This was very easy to follow and worked straight away! Highly recommended!!

143. Gautam
    October 29th, 2009 at 15:09 | #143

Hi, was updating the firmware, and the modem lost power just after deleting the one installed. Now I see that the amber and green light blinking only. does not show when I type 192.168.0.1. Please help me restore the firmware.

144. James Clements
    October 29th, 2009 at 16:19 | #144

Hey Gautam - try following the above guide from the following point:

"Now that the lights are flashing alternately on the front of the router..."

145. Ali
    November 4th, 2009 at 09:21 | #145

I have managed to flash the EEPROM and upgraded successfully. I am still trying to connect to the internet as this is still failing. I am sendind packets in the uplink but nothing come back on the downlink (From ISP). I think it's some configuration on the router I need to check and rectify.

146. Ali
    November 4th, 2009 at 21:59 | #146

Thanks mate. You are a star.

As suspected, it was a misconfiguration I made on the router (the multiplexing settings for ADSL for O2 broadband were wrong). After reading from other forums, I managed to get it right. Thanks once again. I can now ditch this stupid O2 box

147. Pat
    November 21st, 2009 at 15:04 | #147

Hi,Tried flashing my DG834gt, everything went ok until i powered down and waited 10 seconds before powering up again to get ready for the latest upgrade and i now find that it wont power up, all i get is is a row of lights for about 1/2 a second and then all is dead,tried holding a pen in the reset hole while powering up but no joy, any idea's anyone ???? or is it now a dud !!

148. Pat
    November 21st, 2009 at 15:32 | #148

Hi,Again,
    Think Ive solved the problem,looks like its a dodgy connection on the mains cable,managed to upgrade to the latest firmware.Just like to add that I done all this through windows 7 using compatability mode (win xp ) so it can be done guys and thanks to the author great stuff !!!

149. Nij
    December 7th, 2009 at 12:11 | #149

Hi Guys

I was wandering if someone could help me? I cannot seem to open or extract dg834gt_1_02_04.

It comes up with "Internal error processing ISO image" can somebody help? Please....

thanks

Nij

150. darryl
    December 28th, 2009 at 10:35 | #150

hi james. i have a sky wireless router that is black and provided to me from sky in late 2008. i have not sure sure what the model number is. but i want to use it with another internet provider. can i use this same guide or will it not work.
    cheers

151. James Clements
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:43 | #151

Hey Darryl,

It sounds like you have the Netgear DG934 Modem/Router. I believe that someone on the 'skyuser' forums managed to use this guide and found a way to flash the firmware on your router (by changing the firmware filename during the upgrade process.) More info can be found here:

152. Derek
    January 13th, 2010 at 21:04 | #152

Hi James

I have flashed a ex-SKY DG834GT with the latest firmware (1.03.22) I see the router OK & have duplicated the password, logon & settings from my DG834 but it will not connect to my ISP (talktalk).
    Any ideas?

Derek

153. Andrew
    February 8th, 2010 at 23:51 | #153

Thanks so much for this. Worked an absaloute treat. Fantastic I am so chuffed

154. Pam
    February 27th, 2010 at 22:37 | #154

Many thanks James for all your valuable help on this.

Can I just say I tried in vain three times and was going to give up (from O2 box to Sky Netgear-my ISP is O2) but on the third attempt it worked!!

I've been wanting to flash the router all week but after reading the many warnings were very nervous and now feel a sense of achievement as it's something I've never attempted before :)

Many thanks again James

155. dan
    March 1st, 2010 at 10:32 | #155

I've a black Sky Netgear router running with Mac and want to give it to my father (also on Mac) to use with an alternative ISP. How does the reflash work with Mac, please? Thx

156. James Clements
    March 1st, 2010 at 15:16 | #156

The Recovery Utility for flashing the router is not available for Mac I'm afraid Dan.

157. John
    March 17th, 2010 at 15:58 | #157

The Recovery Utility for flashing the router work from Windows 7?

Thanks

158. James Clements
    March 18th, 2010 at 10:18 | #158

John,

If it were me I wouldn't take the chance. I know some people have mentioned trying it in 'Compatibility Mode' but if you have another computer running Windows XP use that instead.

159. K-Dog
    April 11th, 2010 at 14:44 | #159

Thanks.

160. Onnwah
    July 26th, 2010 at 17:02 | #160

Dear JJ,
    I have Windows 7 op system now.I managed to follow all the instructions to the point of selecting the Network Adaptor, using UPGRADE WIZARD. The 2 items showing are ATHEROS AR9285 802.11 b/g/n Wi Fi Adapter or REALTEK P CLE GBE FAMILY CONTROLLER. I don't know which I should choose as both don't look like the right option to me.
    I get the same message after choosing either of them; COULD NOT GET SYSTEM INFORMATION CORRECTLY. PLEASE EXIT UPGRAGE UTILITY AND EXECUTE Rm.Drv.exe, WHICH LOCATED IN THE SAME DIRECTORY WITH UPGRADE UTILITY, THEN RUN UPGRAGE UTILITY AGAIN.
    I cannot get further than this point. Any suggestions on how to go further?
    Thanks very much.
    kind regards,
    Onnwah

161. Glasgow Hacker
    August 7th, 2010 at 22:11 | #161

One more happy person who has control of their kit, Thanks big man

162. Rawdon
    August 12th, 2010 at 19:51 | #162

I have been given a black Sky/Netgear DG934. Its SSID is SKY14741.
    I am trying to flash to "normal" Netgear f/w use on another ISP and have worked through this thread and everything else I can find on the web.
    I'm using Win XP.
    I have followed the excellent instructions above and applied the recovery utility to (try to) up-grade from Sky-specific firmware 2.02.44 to V4.01.40. All seems to go OK with the up-grade, right thorough to the end. However, when I go to 192.168.0.1, it will only accept Sky as a p/w and then shows the f/w as the original Sky V2.02.44. I cannot get to the Netgear setup.
    I have tried RmDrv before and after, and resetting, but it doesn't seem to want to change the f/w.
    Has anyone succeeded with this specific model, or have I got the only one that is permanently locked?
    If it has been done and I'm missing a trick somewhere, I'd welcome any advice.

163. Mike
    August 23rd, 2010 at 20:17 | #163

As described, Firmware uploaded using XP on old laptop lying around, now I dont have to use the crappy thomson O2 router!

Great work :)

164. Chris
    September 12th, 2010 at 20:26 | #164

@Gavin
    Thanks for this. Just installed Windows XP on an old PC and had the same problems I was getting under Vista. Adding the loop back interface and the Netgear Recovery Software works brilliantly.

165. jimnoble
    September 18th, 2010 at 16:54 | #165

I'd bought a Sky router DG834GT router on eBay for a grandson who said he needed one. It turned out that the idiot actually wanted a USB stick that would communicate with one :( .

'Put it back on eBay' I thought, 'but I'll make it more marketable by unlocking it and upgrading the firmware to a modern standard (V1.03.23)'. Your instructions are excellent and worked just fine.

Testing it, it's around 20% faster on Broadband than the fastest my own DG834G V2 has ever done and has the bonus of 108Mbps WiFi - so I'm keeping it :) .

166. Tanoli
    November 1st, 2010 at 20:25 | #166

Hi i need to ask couple of questions. I have netgear sky device DG834GT and it has firmware of 1.03.23 and the solution you have mentioned is on 1.02.04. so should i use the same solution. i mean it will downgrade its firmware 1st. then i will have to update it later.

thanks

167. James Clements
    November 1st, 2010 at 22:09 | #167

Hi Tanoli, yes using this method will change the firmware to an earlier version. The point of this post is to simply overwrite the Sky firmware (which will only allow the device to connect to Sky as an ISP) with the manufacturers (Netgear) version of the firmware which will allow you to use the modem/router with any ISP.

The fact that the Netgear version of the firmware is of a lesser version doesn't matter because as you suggested the Netgear firmware can be upgraded (or downgraded I believe?) at any time to a different version through the web interface.

So the bottom line is that you need to get a form of Netgear firmware on the device and then you can make changes as you wish.

168. Edith
    March 15th, 2011 at 08:38 | #168

Hi people I've been trying to flash my netgear router without success. I have grabbed the 3 files as per the above instructions and when Click run on the RmDrv application it immediately gives me a dialogue box with the message program execute finish, press any key to exit and just below that message there's a flashing icon - so is this it still flashing or it has failed bcz when I press any key to exit and go onto the upgrade wizard it gives me the blue upgrade utility screen and after selecting the Ethernet controlled network adapter I get the message could not get system information correctly. Please exit Upgrade Utility and execute RmDrv.exe located in the same directory with Upgrade Utility then run the Upgrade Utility again. Help please!!:((

169. Golgapa
    April 13th, 2011 at 06:37 | #169

Thanks a lot James . You are genius and you have done a great job. Look at the number of people who have unlocked their routers. I also unlocked my netgear router in the first attempt by following your steps. Thanks once again.

Does anyone know how to unlock Grandstream HT502 ATA adapter???

170. qafro
    May 3rd, 2011 at 20:01 | #170

awesome !

171. Kev Dyer
    May 18th, 2011 at 16:39 | #171

Superb - have tried to unlock my sky router from several other sources and ended up very frustrated and still no joy. Not this time I'm pleased to say!! You're instructions are spot on and it worked a treat first time. Many, many thanks and keep up the good work.

Kev D.

172. njp
    June 19th, 2011 at 22:03 | #172

Thank you very much. Worked first time. Used Vista in compatability xp mode. Can now use this router on my new ISP. Goodbye SKY!

173. wintonian
    July 14th, 2011 at 00:25 | #173

@Gavin

This solved my biggest problem other than having to install XP on a laptop to get the software to work.

The recovery software as has been noted does not appear to work in a virtual machine, I could not get it to work in Windows 7 (x64) either (same issues with malformed interface) with or without compatibility mode.

I formatted a laptop and put a clean copy of XP on with only the chipset, VGA and LAN drivers and after selecting my adapter the next page would not list it. This I assume was either down to having only one adapter installed/ not having the drivers for the wireless adapter installed, either way setting up the Microsoft loop back adapter fixed the issue.

One other issue I have is after flashing the DG934 (using the rename trick) with V4 firmware it won't let me upgrade it through the web interface or flash the router again, was hoping to replace it with some DGTeam code.

Many thanks for this, it has been a big help.

174. All Tips And Tricks
    July 15th, 2011 at 17:15 | #174

i like you sharing love this thank you very much.

175. Sarah
    October 12th, 2011 at 16:59 | #175

Hi james,

I tried flashing my router but when i got to the part ''Device list'' nothing comes up. Im certain ive done everything else right, Any ideas why this is happening ?

176. Tanya
    January 5th, 2013 at 23:03 | #176

Hi James just managed to flush my netgear dg934gt using your instructions and it worked great. Just at a complete loss now as to how to connect my netgear router to my new network? Netgear is coming up as connected but access type says no Internet access. Can you please help.

177. Eli
    September 22nd, 2013 at 22:05 | #177

Hi James
    I have the same problem as Sarah above. I have done everything you state on XP and select my network card and then the next scree, which shows the device list is blank. Can you help?
    Thanks

178. Peter Brooke
    March 4th, 2014 at 13:50 | #178

Hi there, some years back I used your excellent guide to remove Sky firmware from my DG834GT and used the router as my spare. I recently had a problem with my Plusnet router (now resolved) but when I used the DG834GT I cannot find a list of attached wireless devices. I find that I cannot get to Setup/Wireless settings without right clicking on Wireless settings and being directed to another tab on Firefox. I am seeing the wireless set up but no list of devices and no way of adding any as the radio button described is not there. Have you come across this before? Running Firmware 1.03.23 with Win 7 and Mozilla Firefox.
    Regards

179. Peter Brooke
    March 4th, 2014 at 19:44 | #179

Please ignore post #178- issue now sorted thanks to some of the threads on this excellent site. A reset and re-installation of the firmware has done the trick.