Home > Drivers > Intel GFX driver resolution fix

Intel GFX driver resolution fix

I recently encountered a problem whereby I had a batch of brand new Hewlett Packard DC5700 (small form factor) computers which would not allow me to set a widescreen resolution of 1440x900. The chipset model was an Intel Q963 Express, and the onboard graphics media accelerator was an Intel GMA 3000.

After some research it appeared that the latest driver from Intel was not configured to support the resolution of 1440x900, even though after experimenting with settings within Windows display properties and actually getting it set to 1440x900 on one occasion. A quick Google also revealed the maximum resolution supported was 1680x1050. I was baffled as to why a graphics controller and its driver that allows a resolution as high as 1680x1050 would not allow me to set a resolution at the lower 1440x900.

It turns out that the driver is to blame. It seems Intel do not configure their driver to natively allow a resolution of 1440x900 (as well as other resolutions between 800x600 and the maximum supported resolution of 1680x1050). It seems this has also been a problem with other chipsets that Intel manufactures (from their 915 series upwards).

An inspection of the zip version of the driver (Intel provide 2 drivers, one in the form of a self extracting .exe and the other is a .zip file containing all the driver files) for my graphics controller revealed that a file within the driver- igxp32.inf (a setup information file) would allow me to specify extra resolutions that could be used by the computer after the driver was installed. Opening this file in notepad, one section immediately caught my attention:

[NonEDIDMode_AddSwSettings]

Within this section of igxp32.inf it appeared I could enable up to 5 extra resolutions for use within Windows display properties. The next line of the file has been commented by Intel:

HKR,, TotalDTDCount, %REG_DWORD%, 0 ; This shows number of DTDs to be used. ; 0-->Disable the feature.

Well I wanted to enable all the resolutions I could, so I changed the 0 to a 5 like so:

HKR,, TotalDTDCount, %REG_DWORD%, 5 ; This shows number of DTDs to be used. ; 0-->Disable the feature.

The next 5 lines within the file seemed to be the settings for the extra resolutions that would be added after this driver is installed. The first 4 had been set already to offer 1920x1080@60, 1920x1080@50, 1280x720@60 and 1280x720@50 resolutions. The last, 5th line had no hexadecimal values, and the comment on the end of the setting was blank, so here is where I edited and added the resolution for the screen I was trying to get working. A quick Google of 1440x900@60 revealed the hex values for that resolution to be:

HKR,, DTD_5,%REG_BINARY%, 97,29,A0,D0,51,84,20,30,50,98,13,00,00,00,00,00,00,1C,37,01 ;1440x900@60

So I edited the 5th line to look like that above and saved the file. Upon un-installation of the old driver and installation of the newly modified driver, a quick delve into the settings in display properties revealed all 5 new resolutions selectable. I could now apply the 1440x900 resolution I wanted.

I believe that other Intel graphics drivers may have the setup information file named differently from igxp32.inf, but that they can all be modified in the same way.

Categories: Drivers Tags:
  1. Buddy
    August 6th, 2007 at 08:21 | #1

Awesome i love you 😀 i just got a new quad core processor and a mobo with onboard GMA 3100 same problem. Thanks.

2. KAS
    August 15th, 2007 at 00:24 | #2

Excellent, I have a Toshiba with the Intel 915gm chipset that has the same problem. The changes you've suggested work, however I was unable to find the hex values for 1920x1200 at 60Hz which is the native resolution for my monitor. Do you know a good source for the values or the format used?

3. Buddy
    September 6th, 2007 at 11:48 | #3

This is good ive used it a few times now after different windows version and want to say thanks again.

4. James Clements
    September 9th, 2007 at 15:25 | #4

Hey KAS, ive been away for a while, sorry I couldn't help you sooner. Ive had a quick google for you and think the DTD value you need for your resolution can be found here:

Intel Forums

A better explanation of the meanings of all of the values can be found there as well. Hope it helps.

James

5. Jason
    September 20th, 2007 at 20:18 | #5

You are most awesome. I reinstalled MCE2005 on my Lenovo to find no more 1440x900 for me. This guide has saved me from grave unhappiness. Thanks!

6. Roel
    September 24th, 2007 at 16:02 | #6

Brilljant! Thanks for the info and sharing!

7. Wahoo
    October 6th, 2007 at 21:44 | #7

Thank you for sharing!

8. Dave
    October 29th, 2007 at 16:04 | #8

Thanks for this, it was very helpful.

You can also just search for the values in the registry and change them there.

9. John
    October 30th, 2007 at 13:29 | #9

Dave...where did you find them in the registry?

10. John
    October 30th, 2007 at 13:31 | #10

James - I have emailed you a few times but with no response. Where did you find the conversion information for that resolution you wanted. I have the EXACT same PC and a 22" Dell FP that can run at 1680X1050. It has worked before but I did a driver update and have since lost that ability. Can you help with getting me a working command line that I can put in my .inf.

Thanks!

11. James Clements
    October 30th, 2007 at 18:05 | #11

Hi John, I did reply to your email last week when I received it, and again today. Incase there is a problem with your yahoo account here is what I think you were looking for:

For 1680x1050 at 60hz try this:

HKR,, DTD_5, %REG_BINARY%, 79,39,90,40,62,1A,25,40,68,B8,3,00,00,00,00,00,00,1C,27,00 ;1680x1050@60

I haven't got an exact method for calculating the correct DTD values myself. Apparently these can be obtained through Intel (although I have never attempted this). A quick Google for "1680x1050@60 Intel dtd" or the equivalent usually gives me the result I need when people ask for the values. Let me know the results.

12. John
    October 30th, 2007 at 18:38 | #12

Yea for some reason your email hit the spam folder straight out of the bag, so I guess that is what happened this time. Going to give it a try now and I will let you know in a few minutes!!! Thanks very much!

13. John
    October 30th, 2007 at 19:00 | #13

It works like a charm...thanks much for the help James!

14. Richard
    April 28th, 2008 at 01:00 | #14

Good work! Thanks a million. Do you think it would be possible to change the value to a 6, then add both 1440X900 and 1680X1050?

15. vavilen
    April 29th, 2008 at 06:45 | #15

Thaks a lot!!!!

16. James Clements
    April 30th, 2008 at 19:16 | #16

Hi Richard, if you would more than one specific resolution within the driver I would suggest modifying one of the pre-set DTDs (one of the first 4 set by Intel that are left disabled by default). I'm not sure that adding a 6th resolution would work but if you try it let me know.

17. Michael
    May 12th, 2008 at 14:02 | #17

Thankyou for saving my sanity !! Much appreciated.

My ACER E650 runs the Intel 945G chipset with integrated GMA 950 graphics. I'm also using an ACER 1916W monitor with 1440x900 native resolution.

This resolution originally worked out of the box for me... but I came to the computer a couple of days back and one of my young children had been playing around and the 1440x900 mode had simply disappeared !

Reinstalling the original ancient drivers provided with the system also didn't help.

Your fix was an absolute godsend and I am very very grateful.

Regards,

Michael
    Melbourne, Australia

18. Ken Lin
    May 19th, 2008 at 17:19 | #18

I cannot find this igxp32.inf file from the Intel Driver zip file. There is no Inf as well. My display is 82865G, what could i do?

19. Michael
    May 20th, 2008 at 14:11 | #19

Ken, look for *.inf in the \Graphics directory after you have unzipped the driver. This is a different chipset to mine, but I suspect the same procedure would apply. There is only a single .inf file in my chipet's driver's \Graphics directory and I suspect it likely to be the same for your chipset.

Let us know how you fare.

Regards,

Michael
    Melbourne Australia

20. Lucas
    May 29th, 2008 at 14:39 | #20

HI! i have an intel 82865g display adapter and can run in higher resolution like 2048x1536 and some 1600p resolutions but the line to modify that you show here is not at the ialmnt5.inf file of this adapter. i need to run 1440x900 for my new dell flat monitor. what can i do?

21. Dorian
    June 7th, 2008 at 17:09 | #21

Hello James -

Many thanks for the initial solution, and keeping an eye on the comments. Above and beyond...

Unfortunately my gf's computer just lost the ability to display 1440x900, after being plugged into a different receptacle, of all things. The chipset is the 82865G as well as those above, and I can confirm the apparent lack of any similar entries in the .INF file (in this case ialmnt5.inf) I too have tried the usual things to no effect, and was really hoping that this was the solution.

If anyone here has managed to coax their 82865G chipset into supporting WSXGA please leave a comment - many thanks.

22. Manuel
    June 13th, 2008 at 21:24 | #22

Genius!

23. Anssi
    August 14th, 2008 at 12:28 | #23

Yep, I have the same problem with the 865G. I'll be popping in to see if someone has found the solution...

24. wumg
    August 15th, 2008 at 02:17 | #24

Great! Thanks

25. Irucanji
    August 29th, 2008 at 06:05 | #25

Thanks a lot.
    Really HELPFUL info =)

26. Sujit
    September 5th, 2008 at 05:31 | #26

Hi man ur a genius.Thanx for this great article.I fixed my Samsung 19" LCD to display 1440x900 resolution with this article.Thanks a lot ones again.

27. Sebastian
    September 8th, 2008 at 22:51 | #27

The solution presented here should work for the following intel chipsets:

GMA900 aka 915G/GM
    GMA950 aka 945G/GM
    GMA3000/3000X aka G965/Q965/946Z
    GMA3100X aka GM965
    GMA3100 aka G31/G33
    GMA3500X aka G35

I found a tool that makes such modifications easier, look at: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=947830

However, the drivers for i852/855 (and probably the i865, too) do not support "custom" resolutions, so the suggestions above do not work. You can try to use the IEGD drivers instead: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2159

That worked for a 1920x1200 resolution, but I'm not yet completely happy (I guess I need to install the drivers for both adapters to switch between internal and external display).

28. FirePower
    September 16th, 2008 at 15:40 | #28

Hi. I just got a new PC and for monitor I got the Samsung SyncMaster943 NWX (19" Wide Screen). I was personally very happy with the performance of this monitor but just out of curiosity was just surfing the web to read reviews and comments about this monitor to get a feel of the general perception and experience of other users. (Just FYI : I bought a G31 - M7 - TE motherboard for my new machine and had absolutely no problem with the display or the resolution). While I was searching for reviews, I came across some threads reporting this problem of resolution that many users faced with certain Display Adapters (I never faced this problem fortunately). One such thread let me to this article. After reading it and the responses I was very impressed indeed - James - your s was a wonderful article and such articles really uphold the spirit of the internet community and knowledge sharing. Fantastic !!! Thanks for such wonderfully helpful info. I really appreciate.

29. V Dave
    September 16th, 2008 at 21:59 | #29

Hello James,

I have a intel 82865 G video adapter, and i was not able to find the .inf file you said.. where can i find this type of file? if you can help it would be very helpful

varun

30. wurst
    September 17th, 2008 at 10:11 | #30

i want to marry you!

31. Szabolcs B.
    September 20th, 2008 at 18:01 | #31

Hi!

I have same problem 🙁 We bought 3 pcs Dell Optiplex GX270 (Intel 82865G) plus 3 pcs Acer AL1916W Wide screen TFT. When I installed Xp Prof., one of them worked with 1440 x 900 resolution. But a couple of hours ago it gone off.

I am so sad. I would like to solve this problem, because 1024*768 resolution isn't good. But I can't find good idea.

Please help me, if you can.

Szabolcs

32. wu
    September 21st, 2008 at 03:52 | #32

"A quick Google of 1440×900@60 revealed the hex values for that resolution to be:"

I want to set resolution to 1440×900@75, and google lots of keywords, but I can't find the REG_BINARY for it , can you tell me how to find it? thanks

33. OMAL BOSE
    September 21st, 2008 at 16:30 | #33

Thank you very much James Clements. It is a perfect solution to intel G31/33 resolution issue. You have solved my 2 month's long lasting struggle with this article. And the most adorable thing is that you have succeeded where intel customer care itself failed!!!!. And once again thank you very much for saving my nerves and sharing such information to people in distress.

Regards

Omal bose

34. Szabolcs B.
    September 27th, 2008 at 17:16 | #34

I sloved the problem. I installed Intel 6.14.10.4544 82865G A10 graphics controller driver and set the monitor type "Plug and play monitor". After it I shut down the computer, disconected computer and monitor power cable. When I turned on the computer, I saw 1440 x 900 option. The bios version doesn't matter. It's worked with A3, A6 and A7 version. The monitors are Acer AL1916W TFT.

Regards,
    Szabolcs

35. TechnOurs
    September 29th, 2008 at 03:33 | #35

Ohhhhh, you're the MAN! 😉

915GM chipset with Acer w173w as secondary monitor and NOTHING would get the darn thing to display 1440x900. PowerStrip, MonInfo, etc; nothing!

Found your post and voilà!, easy as pie! Thank you very much, I was just about to ditch that monitor and get a "non-widescreen"!

Any chance of forwarding this to our friends at Intel? Can't believe I was the only one with this problem!

Again, thank you!

36. Peter
    October 24th, 2008 at 13:14 | #36

James,
    Many, many thanks for sharing this.

Was at my wit's end.
    Worked like a charm on my Intel G33/G31 chipset
    (Intel Mobo DG31PR with an HP w19 Monitor).

Best Regards

Peter,
    Surrey

37. Kuldip Dhingani
    November 8th, 2008 at 17:35 | #37

What a great solution man !!!
    I really very very much thankful to you for this solution.

I have tried it with Intel 82945G and it is fixed at very first attempt..

Thanks a lot once again.

With Regards,
    Kuldip

38. Arban
    November 10th, 2008 at 13:53 | #38

IT WOOOORKS!

Thank you so much mr James Clements!

PC: Fujitsu Siemens Si1520
    Adapter Type: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
    Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 950
    SCREEN: LG FLATRON L192WS

39. Arban
    November 10th, 2008 at 13:58 | #39

wu said: I want to set resolution to 1440×900@75, and google lots of keywords, but I can’t find the REG_BINARY for it , can you tell me how to find it? thanks

If you find the trick i am interested too. Thanx

40. Sebastian from Argentina
    November 13th, 2008 at 13:29 | #40

James,

Thank you very much!!, YOU ARE THE BEST!!!..It works PERFECT for my Intel Mobo!....

41. jonts
    November 14th, 2008 at 01:32 | #41

hi! i need help on saving the .inf file. i cant save your hex values. i have already opened and edited the values in notepad but when i was trying to save the file,it prompts me up that the file is a read only. please help how to complete this igxp32 so i may also be able to use 1440*900 resolution on my new monitor. thanks in advance!

42. jonts
    November 14th, 2008 at 02:11 | #42

its me again. i found a way to save the .inf file. but the option in selecting 1440*900 is still not available for me. what do i do next?

43. James Clements
    November 14th, 2008 at 09:35 | #43

Jonts, make sure you extract all the files from the zip archive first by right clicking it and selecting 'extract all'. Then edit the file within the non zipped folder that appears. Once you have edited the file save it. Then run setup from the same folder.

44. jonts
    November 14th, 2008 at 09:53 | #44

hey james! thanks for replying. i really have no idea what im doing right now. im just following what i can google at the moment. so far,its not successful. fortunately, you replied! thanks so much. pls guide me through all the files to open and edit. i only searched for igxp32.inf and edited it in C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\igxp32_D9CEE5983DF36CE55A05BE3C95D20FE7AC0F06FF. i cant locate any zip archive in the directory. pls guide me thru. thanks again!

45. jonts
    November 14th, 2008 at 11:25 | #45

hey james! i've finally done it! thanks so much for everything! you're the best! thanks a lot again!!!

46. Shayne
    November 23rd, 2008 at 16:01 | #46

Thanks a lot yaar....been behind this for a long time

47. Chris
    November 25th, 2008 at 18:30 | #47

James,

I know you posted this information over a year ago, but I just have to say THANK YOU! I built a desktop a couple of months ago that had been working great until today when I booted up and found that 1440X900 had disappeared from my resolution options (resulting in squished, letter-boxed image). Perhaps Windows XP did an automatic update last night before I shut down that caused this.

In any case, I found your site, followed your steps to fix the problem, and it worked like a charm! In case anybody is wondering, this is on an Intel G43 chipset with X4500 graphics, so this fix is indeed relevant for these newer Intel GMA adapters.

Thanks again!
    Chris

48. Samer
    December 4th, 2008 at 20:53 | #48

James,

Allow me to pile on the praise. Your few hours of inspiration and perspiration have provided joy for so many 18 months later and counting. My crappy Dell Latitude D610 (from work) wouldn't give me the option to display 1920x1080 on my 52" HDTV via VGA until I read your article. I had been working on the problem for at least 2 weeks. I am in debt to you!! Thank you again and again!!! You are an example to the rest of us on how we should all work hard and share what we have learned with one another. I have some minor updates for you and the gang.

When I changed the ialmnt.inf (seems proprietary to Dell validated drivers?) entry from 0 to 5 only 2 of the 4 entries now showed up in the properties page. 1280x720@50 and @60 still don't show. I've modified the 1280x720@50 to 1280x722@50 and it now shows. I read on another thread that this could be disabled in the BiOS. Did anyone see the same thing?

To those who cannot find the .inf file, it may be under Dell\Drivers as ialmnt5.inf. Very close to half-way down the page you'll see the settings.

Richard, James,

Yes you can add a sixth DTD but be sure to add the necessary incremented field under DelSWSettings as well for DTD_6.

Wu, Arban,

There's a great tool out there to modify DTD's any which way you like. Please find the DTDCalculator at http://www.clevertec.co.uk/productsfree.htm

Hopefully Intel will have improved drivers for 2009 so that we don't need these hacks to lead fulfilling, high resolution lives. Holding breath...

Thanks again James,

Samer

49. Samer
    December 4th, 2008 at 21:11 | #49

Wu, Arban,

Quick update. I went to http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/user-community-for-intel-graphics-technology/topic/54202 for 1440x900 DTD. Playing around with the 4th one down in DTDCalculator gave me the following DTD for 1440x900p @75 Hz. Remember to add your own 2 Bytes of flags to the end (i.e. 37 01). I used a pixel frequency of 135.7 MHz to get a 75.02 Hz refresh rate.

02 35 A0 D8 51 84 2E 30 20 98 29 14 00 00 00 00 00 1A

See if this works for you or try modifying another one on your own.

My question to you, however, is why 75 Hz? Better viewing/gaming experience?

Cheers,

Samer

50. Chris
    December 12th, 2008 at 09:31 | #50

He's the best, it works!

51. Raiyan
    December 15th, 2008 at 09:34 | #51

hey great man...

Thank u very much...really i've got the right 1440X900 resolution in my Intel DG31GL board. I really really thnk u vey much.

It works now n im really happy now. coz i was so frustrated before.

U make me happy....

Thnx again.

52. Gagan Kundra
    January 15th, 2009 at 11:39 | #52

What a great solution man !!!
    I am really very very much thankful to you for this solution. I have wasted three of my days fixing it.

I have tried it with Intel 82945G and it is fixed at very first attempt..

Thanks a lot once again.

With Regards,

Gagan Kundra

53. AlCaffera
    January 30th, 2009 at 18:28 | #53

Great job James, thanks a lot.
    ...f***ing Intel developers, they lost the point in the wide resolutions era.

54. Manmax
    January 31st, 2009 at 14:21 | #54

Hi, James Clements,

Just Awesome.... Cheers Dude... It worked Fine on G31 with modification to igxp32.inf in the setup folder... Once agin thanx for such a post

55. Julio C
    February 17th, 2009 at 05:14 | #55

My new PC is back on the store, they are trying to fix this resolution problem. I will make a call tomorrow.

Thanks from Guatemala.

56. Julio C
    February 18th, 2009 at 03:21 | #56

Now I have the pc on my house, Everything is ok thanks to you.

🙂

57. Joel Marco
    February 27th, 2009 at 05:31 | #57

Thank you sooooooooo much James Clements i was about to have my computer repaired because of this problem and then i read this, thanx you are awesome.

58. JonnieStyle
    March 8th, 2009 at 02:53 | #58

Hey James (and Samer)

I've got a lab with Dell Optiplex pcs that are all suddenly losing their 1440x900 ability! I've found the ialmnt5.inf file, but there is no DTD entry in it, nor can I find that entry in the registry.

Of course, being that it's a Dell, the Intel driver from the website doesn't help at all (won't install)!

About five machines here have *lost* 1440*900 despite having exaclty the same hardware AND driver installed. Rolling back doesn't help.

The DTD Calculator software also doesn't work on these Dells because that reg key isn't there...

Any ideas?

See below for a excerpt from the inf file:

[PwrCons_AddSwSettings]
    HKR,, FeatureTestControl,%REG_DWORD%, 0

[PwrCons_DelSwSettings]
    HKR,FeatureTestControl

[SDVO_AddDeviceSettings]
    HKR,, SDVOFeatureControl,%REG_DWORD%, 5 ; SDVO Feature Control

[PERF_AddSwSettings]
    HKR,, LogResumeTime,%REG_DWORD%, 0 ; Enables or Disables Resume analysis,0 - disable 1 - enable
    HKR,, MaxRuns,%REG_DWORD%, 9 ; The maximum number of runs after which old resumeTime values over-written.

59. JonnieStyle
    March 9th, 2009 at 01:20 | #59

So a quick update: Some of the machines in the lab with a G33/G31 chipset are now working with 1440 x 900! I managed to edit the "kit1675.inf" file with the DTD info, reinstalled the driver and it worked. However, the older machines with the 82865G chipset us a ialmnt5.inf file with no reference to DTD - even pasting the code in doesn't seem to matter...

Any ideas with how to edit the driver (or inf file) for 82865G?

60. JonnieStyle
    March 9th, 2009 at 03:15 | #60

One final point: This probably wasn't clear, but I've got machines that are EXACTLY the same (Optiplex 170L's bought at the same time with exactly the same monitor hooked up) One machine can do 1440 x 900 and one cannot. All the machine HAVE been running 1440 x 900 for two years, and suddenly they are losing that ability!
    Weird huh?

61. Binu S
    March 9th, 2009 at 09:41 | #61

That was an awesome fix, dude! Hats off to you.
    I was struggling on my HP with Acer 19 wide (AL1916W);
    with your fix its working perfect! Thanks for sharing.

62. hayati goksoy
    March 11th, 2009 at 13:38 | #62

Allah Razi Olsun !!
    Allah tuttugunu altin etsin 🙂

63. Erik J
    March 31st, 2009 at 19:09 | #63

Worked like a charm. And for any of you wondering, it works for an XP video driver installing in Windows 2003 Server.

64. Emiel
    April 1st, 2009 at 21:16 | #64

Hi, I have changed the igdlh.inf file for the driver and I have activated dtd with resolution 1680x1050 at number 5. But when I install the driver I can't set my Samsung T220 ti this resolution. Does someone has a solution?

65. Luc
    April 2nd, 2009 at 06:24 | #65

Thank you!
    (win-xp + intel946GZ + Samsung 943NW)

66. Emiel
    April 2nd, 2009 at 07:26 | #66

It is now working on 1 monitor. But I have connected 2 monitors to my notebook. 1 Samsung T220 connected to my DVI port en 1 Samsung T220 to my VGA port. The monitor with the DVI is working with the right resolution but when I want to set the monitor with the vga port it jumps back if I select 1680x1050. What can the problem be?

67. Nalaka
    April 7th, 2009 at 14:57 | #67

Thank you!
    It works like a charm. I was stumped with this one for a long time.

I tried it on an Intel 82945G Express Chipset with a ViewSonic VA1716w LCD display.

68. David Awatere
    April 22nd, 2009 at 05:07 | #68

Worked perfectly on my dell latitude D630 (965 c/s) using the 6.14.10.4926 intel driver. 1440x900 to match HPL1908x panel.

Thanks champ.

69. Hendrik
    May 17th, 2009 at 15:57 | #69

okay i search trough internet and cant find the soluton. from what im read... u all talk about the integerated video card on the motherbord.

so my problem is im using P35 chipset. and this mobo dont have integerated VGA. and intel absolutely dont have the driver for hardware they dont installed on the mobo. here's the site

so i guest i should modify the nvidia inf setting rite?
    the problem is i dont know how to do it. so cn u help me? i have suffer about 12months with this not compitable resolution.

im using 19"945NWX LCD,
    8800GT and Q6600 Core

70. Chris
    May 29th, 2009 at 11:21 | #70

my IT dept switched my monitor, I've been looking for a fix ever since then. I could kiss you on the mouth dude. I figure I have a full 9 hour day spread out over 3 months into this before I found your solution.

Thank you!!

71. Insignia
    July 20th, 2009 at 21:08 | #71

Big respect - many thanks!

72. Alexander
    July 24th, 2009 at 11:09 | #72

Great respect from Russia!

James, you save the world 🙂

73. Lou
    August 4th, 2009 at 00:30 | #73

I shall call you... Master. Thanks a lot!!

74. David
    August 6th, 2009 at 05:25 | #74

Just another formerly frustrated computer user who wants to say Thanks!

75. John Savio
    August 7th, 2009 at 11:57 | #75

I have got a 845GV chipset and there is no igpxp32 file, although there is an ialmnt5 file, which doesnt mention any DTDs. Pls help, I need to run 1440x900.

76. Cristina
    August 14th, 2009 at 15:02 | #76

I cannot believe I put up with this problem for months.. I'm so glad I found your instructions: they worked like a charm for me. Thank you so much!!

77. Julian
    August 26th, 2009 at 06:06 | #77

Great, James. You saved my life.
    Now, if I want to set to 1280 * 800, how can I edit that "5th line"?
    I mean, instead of :

how can I do to set to 1280 * 800 for a laptop?

Thank you!

78. Trimer
    August 28th, 2009 at 07:44 | #78

I've downloaded latest version (14.17) of drivers for my 82865G. And only inf-file in zip-archive is ialmnt5.inf in win2000 folder.
    I've changed it and added:
    [NonEDIDMode_AddSwSettings]
    HKR,, TotalDTDCount, %REG_DWORD%, 1
    HKR,, DTD_1,%REG_BINARY%, 97,29,A0,D0,51,84,20,30,50,98,13,00,00,00,00,00,00,1C,37,01
    [NonEDIDMode_DelSwSettings]
    HKR,, TotalDTDCount
    HKR,, DTD_1
    Also in [i865G.SoftwareSettings] and other [xxxx.SoftwareSettings] block i've added strings:
    AddReg = NonEDIDMode_AddSwSettings
    DelReg = NonEDIDMode_DelSwSettings
    But it doesn't work 🙁 .
    Could anyone upload modded driver (ex rapidshare)

79. donub
    September 1st, 2009 at 13:49 | #79

Thank a lot!
    That's really help me a lot.
    Now I hava 1440x900.

80. Jochen
    September 7th, 2009 at 00:23 | #80

On my Intel DG31RP my new Philips 190vw9 monitor didn't get it's 1440x900 resolution until I found your post.
    Within the last drivers I downloaded I just edited the .inf as per your instructions and that worked great.

Strange the Intel didn't update their drivers yet.
    Nothing about this issue on their web. At one of the forums someone refers to your solution.
    You should charge Intel for doing their job.

Anyhow many thanks.

81. Roman
    September 22nd, 2009 at 08:06 | #81

Thanks!!!!
    U save my eyes

82. shaheen
    September 28th, 2009 at 14:48 | #82

fantastic!
    it's work great!
    thanx.

83. Max
    October 3rd, 2009 at 16:12 | #83

Hello James:

I have an HP-Pavilion t730m computer with a Samsung 19" lcd monitor. Previously it had Windows Vista Ultimate working correctly (lol no aero effect, but I don't use it so no worries about that). I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and....

I really hope that you can help me. I installed Windows 7 RC and after install my monitor resolution is set to 800x600. If I try to raise it, I get just one more option and when selecting it, I get a black vertical bar on the right of the monitor with still very bad resolution.

My Display Adapter is listed as Intel (R) 82865 G Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation XDDM)

and my Monitor is: SyncMaster 943 NW/943 NWX/ NW 1943/NWX 1943.

I hope you can help me find a solution to this problem.

Thanks,

Max

84. Max
    October 3rd, 2009 at 16:13 | #84

Oh, before the upgrade I had 1440x900 resolution and it looked great.

85. gary
    October 10th, 2009 at 04:25 | #85

Thank you. Worked like a charm for WHS.

86. mohamed
    October 12th, 2009 at 11:24 | #86

sorry but where cani put this

87. Jules
    October 14th, 2009 at 15:24 | #87

OMG I sat here for three hours and almost f@#$ing cried, because I couldn't get this Samsung monitor to work properly with my new notebook. Thank you so so so much for taking the time to post this solution!
    Best regards,
    Jules

88. Jagadish
    October 20th, 2009 at 06:58 | #88

This thread is of great help! Thank you so much.

89. Wouter
    October 28th, 2009 at 11:31 | #89

DUDE !! I allready opened the window to throw my computer out of it. Tried everything and no fix until I stumbled on to this page..

Finally my screen is in its native resolution now. Darn Intel devvers for not adding wide screen support.

Thanks a bunch for sharing.

cheers from NL.
    Wouter

82915GV now 1440x900 on Acer AL1916W running Windows Server 2008 X64

90. Manoranjan
    November 3rd, 2009 at 10:41 | #90

James,

You really rock.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart Dude.

Best Regards,
    Manoranjan

91. Jamie
    December 6th, 2009 at 19:21 | #91

I, too, have Intel (R) 82865G Graphics Controller. My monitor is 23" 1920x1080 but the graphics card won't support that. Someone help us unfortunate 865G owners!

92. Ashleigh
    December 21st, 2009 at 11:56 | #92

I have the Intel (R) 82865G Graphics Controller and a Samsung 22" 1920x1080

Where do I find the Graphics Directory?
    Will this solution work with 865?

93. Ziolek
    December 22nd, 2009 at 22:03 | #93

I have the Intel (R) 82865G Graphics Controller and a LG W2243S 22" 1920x1080

Someone help

94. nimesh
    January 18th, 2010 at 05:48 | #94

thanx dude!!!
    i had this problem from some time...
    i searched throughout the web to find a solution but nothing worked.
    then i came to this post and my problem has been cured thanx to u...

95. maryadi
    January 20th, 2010 at 03:48 | #95

THANK YOU James, I use Intel 82945G Express+acer al1917w I cannot set my screen resolution to 1440x900, but with your help that no problem anymore! 😀

96. maryadi
    January 20th, 2010 at 04:10 | #96

if you have problem to edit .inf files.You can change all those value using regedit

97. Hans Harbeck
    January 28th, 2010 at 08:18 | #97

I have a Dell Optiplex 170L with the 81865G Graphic and now I want to connect a 1920x1200 LCD (Samsung 2443BW). I can only select 1600x1200@60 or 1920x1200@75. The monitor only accepts 60Hz so at the moment i only run 1600x1200.
    The harware is ok because in Ubuntu it works ok.
    Can anybody help?

98. Egorych
    February 3rd, 2010 at 07:43 | #98

Thank you very much, you saved my eyes

99. mprolo
    February 18th, 2010 at 18:13 | #99

I had the same problem and found a much easier solution, download the drivers, and from the command line just run setup.exe -32x1440x900*75, (color, resolution, refresh rate), then restart the computer, and the resolution you entered will be available on the graphic resolution list...

(more options in setup exe, read readme.txt)

100. February 25th, 2010 at 10:48 | #100

it works perfectly fine!

101. stephen
    March 25th, 2010 at 13:23 | #101

hi there i dont know where to start i have lg 20 inch monitor tv wanting 1900 resolution for monitor dont have it

im using ----dell Accelerator Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller

Please help

102. dan
    March 30th, 2010 at 00:42 | #102

Perfect! thanks!

103. sandy
    April 19th, 2010 at 13:35 | #103

Ultimate solution.. There is no need to buy graphics card to get this resolution.... i certainly saved 4k bugs... !!!

104. Leo
    May 12th, 2010 at 06:21 | #104

This works incredibly!Thanks ever so much!

Respect from China

105. John
    May 25th, 2010 at 14:33 | #105

I found this article whilst looking for how to set 1440 on my dell gx270 running xp.
    Very useful, but maybe worth trying to update the driver from within the system/device manager fist.
    This worked for me.

106. June 14th, 2010 at 15:37 | #106

You genius! Worked perfectly and prevented me from starting to go insane.

This problem has plagued me for years - what is it with Intel and its denial of 1440x900 monitors?

They even have a special graphics driver on their website to support this resolution amongst other widescreen formats and even this didn't work for me - well, not until I modded the INF file at least.

In the past I've have to resort to a blurry 1280x1024 or Powerstrip although this seems to have issues when controlling my Servers through RDC.

Thanks James - You're a star!

107. Charles
    July 31st, 2010 at 07:14 | #107

FANTASTIC! I've been banging my head against the wall for the last few hours - your post has saved me so much time and effort.

108. Oshyoga
    August 30th, 2010 at 14:17 | #108

Great! Many thanks! You save my day.

109. Олег
    September 14th, 2010 at 06:41 | #109

Огромное спасибо! На GMA3100 помогло! Только не понятно, почему производитель не дописал эту строчку сам.

110. darkchucky
    September 18th, 2010 at 21:30 | #110

Hi everybody!

I had the same resolution problem with i82865G chipset. After few days of resource (reading forums, blogs, lots of comments etc...) found a great article here:

Upon following instructions from the post I DID manage to create a custom driver handling 19120x1080 resolution what I am happy to share you with. R U ready ? 😀

Mirror:

Give it a try and let me know your experiences.

111. Kib
    October 12th, 2010 at 17:16 | #111

Hi darkchucky.
    i tried your driver on my dell sx270. It was installed ok but after restart i got No signal on my monitor Samsung P2270HD. The only way to run windows is in safe mode or in VGA mode. Any try to switch to different resolution (i.e. 800x600) will make the monitor no signal (so i have to reboot again).
    Seems this driver is not for i82865G chipset.

112. intel driver
    October 18th, 2010 at 12:12 | #112

i am a computer newbie, i just heart intel chipset or motherboard drivers, so it's the first time i get some idea of Intel GFX driver, though i'm still confused about it, it seems good.

113. AbuYa
    October 31st, 2010 at 00:51 | #113

I'm using Biostar A780L3G AM3 (AMD 760G) with Samsung 943BWX and i can't set resolution to native 1440x900, can you help me please.

114. asoyupak
    November 2nd, 2010 at 14:59 | #114

The solution that darkchucky offered has worked for Intel 82865g driver on Dell optiplex gx270. Although I have made the driver myself with Intel IGED for Intel 845 Chipset. For calculating the modelines for DTDs one can use ELDIM EDIDViewer to see the current displays preferred resolution and its native modeline data.

There are a number of IGEDs on Intel website and I have used the one 'IGED 845 with CED', and selected 845 chipset (again for a system that has 82865g) during setting up the configuration for the driver. Once you generate the package, unzip the package from its location under the installation folder which is under IGED folder, and manually update the driver through device manager using the .inf file found under the Drivers folder(under the generated and unzipped installation folder)

For the rest of the process if you need help use the blogspot website that darkchucky sent, for a pictured tutorial. I think one has to be careful with the modeline data, while generating the driver installation package, ELDIM EDIDViewer is pretty good for that purpose.

115. Drago
    November 16th, 2010 at 14:37 | #115

@darkchucky
    Thanks a lot for the driver darkchucky. It worked like a charm on Dell Optiplex GX270. My Dell Optiplex GX270 came with the onboard Intel 82865G graphic chip.

116. Derek
    December 5th, 2010 at 15:47 | #116

@darkchucky

THANKS YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Now my $20 P4 can me a cheap HTPC solution!!

117. darkrulerx
    December 5th, 2010 at 18:06 | #117

Ok. I did this and finally i have 1440x900 resolution. Thank you.

I have one problem. Everything works fine. But everytime I reboot my computer, when I logged in, The resolution change automatically to 800x600 pixels. I just return it to 1440x900 everytime but this is annoying. Anyone know how to solve this?

118. bstark
    January 10th, 2011 at 19:36 | #118

@darkchucky

Genius!

Thank you so much for posting your driver - I'd all but given up on resolving this until I found this thread.

119. Chad Wittman
    January 31st, 2011 at 17:16 | #119

AMAZING - Thank you so much!

120. Clifford
    February 20th, 2011 at 17:03 | #120

Freaky solution
    Wasted 2 months trying to figure out a way.
    Had given up and was going to buy a graphic card.
    Why can't the idiots at Intel give us working drivers

121. February 23rd, 2011 at 18:29 | #121

Resorting to compiling my own drivers as darkchucky and asoyupak did. Videoseven D19w12b monitor on Intel 82865g now running at 1440x900x75hz. My eyes are no logner strained.
    Thank you all.

122. DitoHoaniagam
    April 2nd, 2011 at 02:28 | #122

Please ease me to frame pool

123. leliukx
    April 4th, 2011 at 10:58 | #123

Предложенный вариант работает.

124. ThuyTran
    April 14th, 2011 at 18:43 | #124

My laptop with Intel 915GM/GSM, 910GML Express Chipset can not recognize the wide-screen display. It said that was Digital Flat Panel (1024x768). So one fifth of the screen has become black pixels. I can not set the screen to the wide screen like it used to.
    What should I do? Can anyone help me please?

125. Mex
    May 19th, 2011 at 13:39 | #125

Cool! It works! Thank you, thank you!

126. juanitoxn2
    May 24th, 2011 at 14:22 | #126

Can anybody help me create custom driver for 82865g for monitor Benq g2220hd for WIN XP proff. im so lost in trying make res 1920x1080 🙁
    thanx to all

127. juanitoxn2
    May 24th, 2011 at 14:39 | #127

@darkchucky
    could u help me man?

128. juanitoxn2
    May 24th, 2011 at 14:39 | #128

darkchucky :
    Hi everybody!
    Mirror:
    Give it a try and let me know your experiences.

could you help me man ?:) plz

129. TD
    June 12th, 2011 at 13:39 | #129

Thanks for this! It took a bit of hunting to find the right file but I got there in the end:
    Toshiba Tecra A9 laptop with an Intel Express GM965 chipset and a Samsung SyncMaster 943NWX monitor hanging off the side.

The file within the driver executable archive (from the Toshiba website - Intel's driver would not install) was named "igdlh.inf" and had the same lines of code described above. Gold!

130. Schemer
    June 16th, 2011 at 08:27 | #130

Thanks! it is works for G31/33 and monitor va1916w!

131. Aventeepheree
    July 16th, 2011 at 06:18 | #131

honourable gonna say hello...

132. Todd
    September 24th, 2011 at 02:56 | #132

Thank-you, it took me a long time to get my friend's AL1916W to work at its native resolution. I ended up editing the registry directly as editing the inf file and resintalling didn't seem to do the trick. In any case, your information was invaluable.

133. Jamil
    October 16th, 2011 at 09:13 | #133

hi there,
    I Have Philips 170CW Widescreen LCD, and HP Compaq DC7700p and i want to 1440x900@60Hz.......plz tell me the solution,

134. Dave
    December 21st, 2011 at 16:56 | #134

Thank you so much for this.
    Had to use on Gigabyte G33M DS2R to get the onboard graphics to work nicely on a HP L1908w monitor.
    Works perfectly.

135. January 6th, 2012 at 17:34 | #135

Has anyone got OpenGL/ 3D acceleration to work (at ANY resolution) with darkchucky's driver? I'm glad to be able to get 1920x1080 on my Intel 865G, but I still have this problem! ! please help.

136. Joe Chasko
    March 10th, 2012 at 18:32 | #136

Great workaround. Note that if you use the Intel Graphics Accelerator in XP, the wide mode doesn't show in the Adapter Settings. But it does show in Desktop Properties All Modes.

What I don't understand is why my machine lost the ability to recognize these modes from the monitor. Reinstalling the driver didn't help, though this workaroundd id.

137. Roney
    April 21st, 2012 at 16:29 | #137

Hi the problem is not with intel but i think with the SyncMaster 943NWX, as am having AMD Phenom x4 and motherboard is Asus M3A78EM with onboard ATI graphic card, i had 1440x900 resolution before but after the service pack one of Win7 Ultimate and some more updates i cant get that resolution back, can you help me?

138. Jun
    May 6th, 2012 at 14:40 | #138

Wonderful, it really work. Thank you very much.

139. real23
    May 29th, 2012 at 22:06 | #139

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu work great

140. fcode
    June 5th, 2012 at 05:33 | #140

will this work for asus chipset as well? can it be done for asus drivers? Please advice.

141. dx200
    August 8th, 2012 at 16:03 | #141

Great work James!

this is really great decision.
    Intel developers are loosers.

WBR From Russia Alexey

142. Finarfin
    August 31st, 2012 at 13:09 | #142

It worked great with my Acer AL1916W, thanks!

143. November 13th, 2012 at 16:21 | #143

Got it finally working :-))

THANKS A LOT!

144. Curtis
    March 5th, 2013 at 17:14 | #144

@darkchucky
    Can you reupload the driver? Actually, anyone have the driver they can upload?

145. Delirium6
    March 7th, 2013 at 14:08 | #145

Hello,

I do a new driver to go to 1920x1080 in the resolution.
    You can download here http://dl.free.fr/cSjt0Bwv2
    Extract the archive, go to utilities and setup (It's finish with a problem but go to the system properties and the graphics driver by the new)
    But it works perfect with a Philips226V, but not with a Samsung S22B150N (it works good in 1600x900).
    I waiting for your return.

146. Colin
    May 11th, 2013 at 17:39 | #146

Hi,

Can you please reupload file? Link does not work 🙁

147. Armorilat
    July 16th, 2013 at 15:35 | #147

@Delirium6

Delirium,

Would you upload the driver again? I used to have the one done by darkchucky but I re-installed Windows Xp and lost it.

Thank you!

Leo

148. scitt
    January 5th, 2014 at 20:58 | #148

Does anyone have the current driver to fix the 82865g?

149. Greg
    January 31st, 2014 at 22:58 | #149

I'm really annoyed because I had this working on my dad's 82865G chipset computer before he had a hard drive crash, but now I can't find the right IEGD tool to generate a new driver. If anyone can find an IEGD tool that supports 865G, let me know and I can produce a driver.

150. Fernando
    July 24th, 2014 at 14:12 | #150

Thank you very much!!! It really works and finally can view my monitor in it's own resolution (apologize about my english, i,m from Argentina).
    Thanks again !!!

151. Heady
    December 27th, 2014 at 09:30 | #151

Fantastic! Thank you!

152. Richard
    July 30th, 2015 at 21:43 | #152

Was having trouble with my monitor and googled "samsung 1440x900 syncmaster 943nw" and found a link to here. Worked a treat.
    No more bashing my head against the wall trying to reinstall the winxp 14324 driver again and again. acouple of strategic edits and I'm golden.

153. Roger
    September 2nd, 2015 at 02:06 | #153

Hi James, I know you published that 1440x900 tip ages ago, but thanks a bunch. Worked like a charm. 🙂 Roger V.

154. Dr V S Prasanna Rajan
    March 9th, 2016 at 11:18 | #154

Thanks a lot for providing the procedure for accessing 1440x900 resolution!

155. Mukul
    May 19th, 2016 at 07:22 | #155

Can anyone tell my dtd 5 value or 1440x900 resolution of LG W1942S LCD Intel 89245G Chipset.

code